Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 1 decade ago

My faith is swaying help? (Christianity)?

Ok i want to believe in God and can say i do but its so hard when there are so many counter arguements and i can honestly say my faith is being tested (Im 16) and i need reason from God- a sign :/ Now i know this is highly unlikely and can come to terms with it. I just need some advice please. Also any help with:-

Been having lots of arguments/debates with my dad about christianity and sometimes his answers seem more logical than ones i can counter with. It makes me angry but i when i respond he almost totally takes my answers as nonsense. Also his response of christianity being simply for control purposes and for the weak minded and how roman catholocism orginated by julius caesar invenitng it for control etc. These seem too convinving and its hard to respond to them. Any advice on how to take his criticisms etc. and turn them into increased faith in God? (im protestant) And want to delve deeper into my religion as i am beginning to truely begin to 'believe'

I actually like religious debates etc. I am actually a 'logical' thinker also but i once had a feeling i cannot explain other than someone telling me something which i believe was God and recently i have tried becoming religious i know its hard but i just pray for a sign from God to show me the way. Eventually he will provide.

• Favorite Answer

No, you need Jesus Christ! Religion is NOTHING.......it is by faith in Jesus Christ that you will be saved!

Read the Gospel of John, you might feel better

"Also his response of christianity being simply for control purposes and for the weak minded"

If that is a convincing argument, I would like to know what an unconvincing one looks like. He thinks dying for your beliefs is for the weak minded, does he?

"and how roman catholocism orginated by julius caesar invenitng it for control etc."

You might want to point out that Julius Caesar died about forty years before Jesus Christ was born. You might also want to point out that Christianity was actively persecuted by the Roman state during its first three centuries.

"These seem too convinving and its hard to respond to them. Any advice on how to take his criticisms etc. and turn them into increased faith in God? (im protestant) And want to delve deeper into my religion as i am beginning to truely begin to 'believe'"

With somebody as ill informed as him, all you need to do is become better informed yourself.

Control purposes my foot. God is real.

The bible says not to get into doubtful disputations with people. Why? Because doubt is real too.

Let your Father alone. If you're a christian then God is your father. Start "being about your Fathers business" as Jesus said He was at the age of twelve.

PEOple are dying and Going out into a Christless existence. Get busy telling them about Jesus.

Wheres your church? Do they do anything for Jesus? Soul winning is a command.

MY POInt is, that if you get busy for the Lord then you won't have any time for the devils doubt.

don't be worried about not being able to refute your dad's arguments until you are more well versed in the Bible and who God really is.

faith is not something an unbeliever can understand. it is discerned by the spirit. the Bible tells us unbelievers are blinded by the god of this world, satan. they are powerless without the blood of Jesus, and yet they refuse to believe in Him :(.

your last two sentences sum up your faith to me. it sounds like you still have enough faith, friend. Jesus said if you have faith even the size of a mustard seed, you can move mountains. you can strengthen your faith in God and love for Christ further by getting deep into God's word and seeking Him constantly through prayer. He is with you, brother. don't ever doubt it. as a matter of fact, once you're in with the Lord, you're in for life ;). you can't get away, such is His love for you. He will never leave nor forsake you.

i'm sure you know that the Bible teaches of scoffers and god haters and persecution of Christians in these last days. hold tight to the word of Truth and pray for strength, increased faith and forgiveness both for you and for your persecutors.

read what God's word says about those who think Jesus is foolishness. verse 18 is so powerful.

I Corinthians 1:18 For the word of the cross is to those who are perishing foolishness, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God. 19 For it is written, "I will destroy the wisdom of the wise,

And the cleverness of the clever I will set aside." 20 Where is the wise man? Where is the scribe? Where is the debater of this age? Has not God made foolish the wisdom of the world? 21 For since in the wisdom of God the world through its wisdom did not come to know God, God was well-pleased through the foolishness of the message preached to save those who believe.

I Corinthians 1:27 But God has chosen the foolish things of the world to confound the wise; and God has chosen the weak things of the world to confound the things which are mighty;

---------

so try not to worry about what others say or what futile arguments they try to push off on you. the fact is, they cannot prove God does not exist and no one ever will, because He is. Jesus said, "take heart, for I have overcome the world." we are more than conquerors in Him. may He bless you greatly in your walk with Him. i will pray for you.

Just remember this:

Satan tries real hard to plant seeds of doubt in us. Stay in God's Word.....keep praying daily......and don't sway from the truth. Don't be fooled.....

Do NOT let the "logical" thinkers turn you away from the Lord

I appreciate your desire to keep your faith, but are you sure you want to turn off your inquisitive mind to do so?

What if the religion you're following is hiding important facts about its own origins and about its scriptures? Would you want to know that before making up your mind that you HAVE to have a faith?

A couple of resources for you:

http://www.skepticsannotatedbible.com/

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/DebateReligion/

Avoid the arguments/debates with him for the time being at least until you find the basis and reasoning behind your own belief.

Don't try to convert him.

discuss dont debate....TRUTH IS IN THE BIBLE...if he doesnt agree then talk about other subj....see upperroom.com and repent and get baptized...