Will the British actually elect an atheist to lead them? How should we Christians deal with the fallout?

Favorite Answer

It's still unlikely - I think Cameron is more likely to be the winner.

The ruling Labour party is trailing in the polls as they've been in power for well over a decade, and have lost all their gloss. The ever-shiny Blair got out just before everything went pear-shaped. They are getting most of the blame for the recession, and the corruption/sleaze expenses scandal that affected Parliament under their watch. However, they do still have a strong core of loyal support in the industrial heartlands.

After Labour's Brown shot himself in both feet that he'd already placed in his mouth the other day (calling a voter 'bigoted' on microphone), I think they are set to sink lower, but the Liberal Democrats will not pick up enough of that as the leader Clegg (an atheist) is mostly a one-man show. His potential cabinet lacks heavyweights, and is more like a shop window of fluffy toys.

The Conservative party's Cameron is neck-and-neck with Clegg as a result of the recent TV debates, but party support is undoubtedly stronger for the Conservatives than Lib Dems as their position of Official Opposition has given them more prominence over the years. Their team has more heavyweights too, and they are more untainted than Labour's over the scandals. It is that party vote in the constituencies that is much more crucial than relative popularity of leader.

However it's certainly possible that there could be a hung Parliament with no party securing an absolute majority, and the Lib Dems could hold the balance of power, offering support to whichever party offers them concessions. Last time that happened was the '70s, and that was a bit of a messy time, but we live in much more stable and prosperous (despite the recession & debt) times.

So if Clegg by some chance does become PM, it's more likely that the shock-waves will be less of volcanoes, earthquakes and meteor storms, but of a temporary boom in the popularity of boring ties, fluffy toys and middle-of-the-road muzak. I will not be betting on him, though!

Edit:

Your question may be a bit of a puzzle to many British voters, as mostly we don't know (or care) what religion politicians have, as it's pretty much kept out of politics.

Dealing with the fallout? Don't watch any BBC music channels for a couple of years. In return we want you to keep Justin Bieber on your side of the pond!

I doubt the Lib Dem's will get in, but we would elect an atheist if he had a decent party and a good manifesto. The right person for the job religion doesn't matter. None of the current parties really inspire confidence, it's so bad I think I may have to overthrow the government and set up a dictatorship under my control.

Being a christian is much more than simply brandishing a self applied label.

Have you sold all that you own so as to assist the poor?

Do you visit the sick and the imprisoned?

Do you feed the hungry, clothe the naked and give in charity to the widows and orphans while judging none as you live your life in constant awareness of your submission to YHWH?

Do you gladly do without so that you can help and aid others?

It is not those who make a public profession of supposed faith but those who live as the gospels tell them to live who are actually christians.

That having been said, it is obvious that you have nothing to be worried about as you are obviously not a christian. such do not exist in the modern world and definitely not in the West.

namaste

Not going to happen. Lib Dems don't have a chance. Clegg may have done well in the debates but the majority won't vote for him.

EDIT: Nick Clegg doesn't have a chance of winning, this apparently bothers some? This is the reality, and there's no rigging of anything going on.

Kwark, him being a Christian had nothing to do with it.

Betch, maybe if people actually knew what they stand for then more people would vote for them. One thing everyone knows is that they favoured the Euro, then they didn't, now they're not sure.

• Loki

Which one is an atheist?

Edit: Regardless of religious affiliation/ lack thereof, I hope the Lib/Dems win.

Tony Blair is a blood thirsty hypocrite. Unfortunately, he chose not to disclose this prior to election.

• That's Nick Clegg, isn't it? It is virtually impossible for him to win, as our electoral system is rigged in favour of the two main parties.

Edit: Emily, I don't even support Nick Clegg, but I'm willing to admit that the way our elections work does not favour the smaller parties, as their presence in parliament is divorced from their actual percentage of the overall vote.

Edit2: Yeah, their euro policy is a mess. But I remember when the lib dems first formed out of the SDP and old liberals, they got a lot of votes, but nothing came of it. I think it discourages a lot of people when the other two parties have so many guaranteed seats. Constituencies like that only really work democratically when they have more autonomy than ours do.

Be as a spectator and act according to the situation. Do not get more confused about this.

We don`t want a religious person to run the country.

Remember Blair was told to keep his Christianity quite when he was PM, because the public would think that he was a nutter.

We don`t do religion much in the UK.

Why not...? The important decisions can't be made on a "god help me" basis. Has to be made on the "i know what i am doing" basis...