Problem with my 1999 Dodge Dakota Sport?

When i start driving after a little bit the car dies like its out of gas... Now im thinking fuel pump, does that seem right or what could be the problem?

5 Answers

Relevance
  • 10 years ago
    Best Answer

check the coil on it also they will heat up and cause that too happen and when they cool down a little bit they will start right back up again,that or the pump relay may be causing that too happen,they will heat up and shut off on you,and that will cause it to die out like that,i own one and had to replace the pump relay two times in the past two years,if its got over 100 thousand on it the pump may be going out on it also,good luck with it.

Source(s): been a certified mechanic for 38 yrs now.
  • 10 years ago

Something else may be the cause. Most of the time the fuel pump completely fails and the engine will not restart. Changing the fuel filter is not an easy solution as the fuel filter is part of the fuel pump assembly on the bottom of the fuel pump.

Source(s): retired not ASE, not MASTER, but I have replaced a few Dodge fuel pumps.
  • 10 years ago

I had the same issue with my old dakota with the 318. It would stall and not fire up unless u let it sit for 10 minutes then ran fine. My pump never had any abnormal sounds like no whining or anything but we dropped the tank, after I filled it up with 22 gallons of course, lol, and changed it and never did it again.

• 3 years ago

U have a short to grd. Get a schamatic of the fuse # that is blowing out the fuse.. Find out what componets are attached to it. And start disconnecting them one by one untill the fuse stops blowing. Recommend using a fuse breaker for this. So u don't have to keep buying new fuses. When u find it. Check the schamatic for wire color and tracer color. Use a volt meter or power prob. To conferm suspect cercuit. The window problem is not related to the ac system. So u better make sure that u check all the fuses. As for the engin (truck) There is no reason for the ac fuse to affect the starting system. Unless u are fimiliar with elect. Diagnosis. Take it to a shop.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • HHMM
    Lv 5
    10 years ago

fuel filter is much cheaper and easier to start with and more likely

Source(s): retired ASE MASTER
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.