Sean G
Sean G asked in SportsBoxing · 1 decade ago

Did anyone notice John Ruiz retired?

How will you remember him?

My memories of him are the same as John B and Norman...

Jose...DAMN...I never saw that.

Favorite Answer

I will remember John Ruiz as an extremely boring fighter who clinched his way to winning a paper title twice in today's very weak era of top heavyweights.

Ruiz gets credit for winning a world title twice and becoming the first heavyweight champ of Hispanic origin but he was never regarded as the true champion for the entire time of his reign under the WBA: Lennox Lewis was the true champion all the way up until he retired and after Lewis hung up the gloves, Wladimir Klitschko took the reigns and he's held them ever since.

Ruiz will forever be remembered as a very gritty, tough, and mauling fighter who held WAY more than was necessary and quite frankly should have been disqualified in a few of his fights for clinching as much as he did- I remember this one fight (it may have been the one with Andrew Golota that many felt he lost) where he literally averaged like 15 clinches a round.

And lastly as some users have already mentioned, he will also be remembered as the heavyweight who was soundly beaten by 2 former middleweights (Roy Jones and James Toney) although the Toney loss was changed to a "No Decision" after Toney tested positive for steroids but with how fat and out of shape Toney looked in that fight, I highly doubt that the steroids affected the outcome in any way.

• Joshua

I didn't notice, and yeah he did get beat by two former middleweights, but those were two extremely good middleweights, whereas Ruiz was a decent heavyweight. Those two former middleweights whooped a whole lot of people collectively. Honestly, I'm not a huge fan of the heavyweight division because I prefer the busier smaller fighters. 140-160lbs in the last 10 years and currently showcases the best mixture of skill, talent, and of course personality. That's just this guy's opinion.

He will be remembered as the answer to the trivia question: "Who was the first Hispanic heavyweight champion of the world?". Whether you liked John's style or not, he beat Holyfield and won a heavyweight title, so you have to respect his ring accomplishments.

• John B

Yeah, but since everybody dislikes very bad then I didn't bring it up. I feel kinda sorry for him, he was a good guy with a hilarious trainer (Norm Stone, "the ref fcking sucks! fck the ref!". But yeah, he didn't have a fan friendly style and also he was never adopted by either the U.S. or Puerto Rico, his legacy will only leave "as the only heavyweight champ of Hispanic descent".

As the first Latino Heavyweight Champ?

When Roy was 50-4 ESPN ranked him #46. I think Roy at 48-1 would have been top 25. He won several championships in several divisions and was and did everything in spectacular fashion. You made the best arguement in your question.

The Heavyweight that got beat by two Middleweights.

• teodor

Oh, sorry! I never knew he was still boxing. I will remember him as one lucky mediocre boxer who won and held on to shares of the world heavyweight title only because the alphabet soup organizations had the gall to inflict him upon us and we boxing fans still had the sense of humor to endure such a joke!

Who cares?

He was a nice guy but the most BORING fighter of the last 20 years.

He'll be back for his mandatory shot at the WBA title. He lives there.

I will remember him as one of those rare guys in boxing who knows when to hang the gloves up and call it a day.