Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentImmigration · 1 decade ago

What do you think AZ lawmakers say their new immigration law will help fight an illegal immigrant crime wave?

Arizona lawmakers say their new immigration enforcement law will help them fight an illegal immigrant crime wave that is sweeping the state, a claim that is backed by studies and statistics that suggest border states have a disproportionately high number of criminals who are illegal immigrants.

"We've been inundated with criminal activity. It's just -- it's been outrageous," Arizona Gov. Jan Brewer told Fox News.

"Crime is off the chart in this state," added Pinal County Sheriff Paul Babeu, president of the Arizona Association of Sheriffs.

Critics have called Arizona officials racist, intolerant and downright unconstitutional for passing the law, which makes illegal immigration a state crime and allows police to demand documentation from anyone they suspect is an illegal immigrant.

While the correlation between illegal immigrants and crime is almost impossible to quantify precisely, the available numbers indicate that Arizona -- as well as California and Texas -- are dealing with increased crime as a result of high illegal immigrant populations and activity.

Part of this is because some of those immigrants are being arrested based on immigration-related charges. A Pew Hispanic Center report last year said "increased enforcement" of immigration laws accounts for part of the trend.

But there are other crimes, many of which are drug-related. Furthermore, illegal immigrants and smuggling organizations have been linked to some specific violent crimes in Arizona. Local officials frequently cite the rash of kidnappings in their state in defending the new law. The Department of Justice's latest National Drug Threat Assessment says there were 267 kidnappings in Phoenix last year and 299 in 2008. The report said the victims usually have a connection to immigrant smuggling groups or drug traffickers.

The report also showed that assaults against U.S. law enforcement on the southwestern border are on the rise. The report found that the number of attacks on Border Patrol agents increased 46 percent to 1,097 incidents in fiscal 2008. The report said the assaults were mostly related to immigrant smuggling.

Together, Arizona, California and Texas are now home to 4.7 million of the 11 million illegal immigrants the Department of Homeland Security estimates are in the country.

Other states with high illegal immigrant populations -- like Illinois -- do not have a lot of illegal immigrant prisoners. Federal statistics show the illegal immigrant population is actually underrepresented in Illinois prisons.

Please read full story @ http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2010/04/29/border-...

Favorite Answer

I Like This Part The Best

Critics have called Arizona officials racist, intolerant and downright unconstitutional

for passing the law,

which makes illegal immigration a state crime

ILLEGAL IMMIGRATION Is A FEDERAL CRIME

The State Of Arizona Drafted A Law

That DIRECTLY REFLECTS THE FEDERAL LAWS

The Other Part I Find Amusing Is This

Together, Arizona, California and Texas

are now home to 4.7 million of the 11 million illegal immigrants

the Department of Homeland Security estimates are in the country.

GIMME A FREAKIN BREAK, Man

Theres Probably 11 Million In Arizona, California, and Texas

We All KNOW

There Are Nearly 30 Million ILEGAL ALIENS

In The U.S. Right Now

The Estimate Was 12-15 Million 6 YEARS AGO

(And THAT Was A Conservative Estimate)

And It Is Common Knowledge

That ILLEGAL ALIENS Cross Our Sothern Border

At A Rate Of 5-15 Thousand Per Day

Next ...

• M W

I totally support Arizona's efforts to find solutions to major problems. I am appalled and disgusted that Washington is dismissing them and calling it "misguided". Obama needs to stand behind them instead of insulting them and refusing to help. I hope many other states do the same thing, including my state of Illinois.

Illinois' black population is more problematic, but they are legal citizens. There is a strong drug culture, but it is not created predominately by illegals. We are among the highest for unemployment in the country and have the one of the highest school drop out rate - in my city 47% of the students live in homes that fall below the poverty level and 30% of them don't finish high school, and the prisons have a very high percentage of black inmates. This explains the crime rate.

i applaude the efforts of arizona in removing this unwanted blight from thier state.it's amazing that people would try and defend illegals, they are, just by being here, criminals under the law. when I broke the law, I paid my price and I didn't grumble, and I didn't do it again. these criminals, the smugglers of drugs and humans, all are criminals and should face penalization-WITHOUT the outcry of racism and all of the other false utterings of alienated, disenfranchised americans that want to beat the drum of humanitarianism by demanding we give OUR tax dollars to feeding housing and medically treating millions and millions of criminals who shouyldn't be here in the first place. GO AZ!

• Sasori

There are 460,000 illegals in AZ costing us $1.3B a year to educate and incarcerate.

There are 280,000 illegals in AZ with full time employment.

PX is #1 in kidnapping; home invasions, drop houses, smuggling.

30% of Fed prisoners are illegal aliens.

20M American unemployed, 8M illegals employed.

Perhaps in Illinois they are respected and act accordingly. It is amazing how far a little respect will go. It would be interesting if there are actual programs in Illinois to help them vs heavy handed control.

I think it's long over due.

Thank you Arizona for having the fortitude to stand up for American citizens!

Dunno

hope this helped