Jul asked in Consumer ElectronicsCamcorders · 1 decade ago

camcorders (SSD vs. SDHC)?

I was looking at the Samsung HMX-H200 & H205 camcorders. From what I can tell the only difference between these 2 is that the H205 has a buit-in 32Gb SSD. But buying the H200 & a 32Gb SDHC card is much cheaper. Which brings us to my question : is the SSD in any way better than a SDHC card? If so, in what way?

Thank you!

Favorite Answer

The SSD is built into the camera, and hence, irreplaceable (or very hard to replace). An SSD has faster read/write times. However, you will need a USB/firewire connector cable to transfer data, meaning that you will have a bottleneck in your transfer rate (it's only as fast as your USB/firewire connection). Plus, there's the added hassle of keeping the cable around.

The SDHC is portable. However, it is flimsy, can be lost, and/or destroyed. Also, 32GB is a large amount, and you would need to purchase a expensive SDHC card (~$70USD) in order to match that amount of storage.

• lare

you cannot use a photographic SDHC card (class 2) for video. you will need the more expensive class 8 or 10 for this camera. since this camera is not in production yet, it is more likely to take the class 10. A Panasonic 32 GB class 10 card is $250 on Amazon.