Why do you think the secret ballot was adopted?

9 Answers

Relevance
  • Favorite Answer

People were very afraid there would be retributions against them, if it was found out how they had voted.

Much the same way as recently in California the people who contributed small amounts of money to Proposition 8 (Against gay marriage) were ruined financially by gay militants.

http://www.time.com/time/nation/article/0,8599,185...

• jack
    Lv 5
    10 years ago

for the same reason popular vote is not used to elect presidents, because big corporations can not control the outcome. and for proof al gore won the popular vote in 2001 yet bush won the electoral vote and therefore the presidency.

• phil
    Lv 7
    10 years ago

because people could vote how they wanted instead of being in fear of what others would do to them,makes you wonder why chuck schumer wants to take that right away from people voting on union things

• Anonymous
    10 years ago

So the practice of "That guy didn't vote for the guy I wanted him to vote for so I'm going to kill him" would go away.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • fdm215
    Lv 7
    10 years ago

Because people didn't want to face repercussions for their support or lack thereof

• Anonymous
    10 years ago

so people wouldn't be intimidated by others for the way they vote

• 10 years ago

So you wouldn't be compelled to kill your neighbor for voting against your interest.

• 10 years ago

I could tell you, but then I'd have to shoot you.

• 10 years ago

to prevent corruption.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.