Why do you think the secret ballot was adopted?

• Favorite Answer

People were very afraid there would be retributions against them, if it was found out how they had voted.

Much the same way as recently in California the people who contributed small amounts of money to Proposition 8 (Against gay marriage) were ruined financially by gay militants.

http://www.time.com/time/nation/article/0,8599,185...

• jack

for the same reason popular vote is not used to elect presidents, because big corporations can not control the outcome. and for proof al gore won the popular vote in 2001 yet bush won the electoral vote and therefore the presidency.

• phil

because people could vote how they wanted instead of being in fear of what others would do to them,makes you wonder why chuck schumer wants to take that right away from people voting on union things

So the practice of "That guy didn't vote for the guy I wanted him to vote for so I'm going to kill him" would go away.

• fdm215

Because people didn't want to face repercussions for their support or lack thereof

so people wouldn't be intimidated by others for the way they vote

So you wouldn't be compelled to kill your neighbor for voting against your interest.

I could tell you, but then I'd have to shoot you.

to prevent corruption.