What do you think of the Alabama Governor Candidate saying :'This is Alabama; we speak English,'?

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ynews/20100428/ts_ynews/yn...

Whether or not this guy was saying this to insult anyone, I personally, as a U.S. born Hispanic and legal immigrant parents (not trying to play any race cards, but just so that you guys know where I'm coming from), believes this makes sense. Some Hispanics may see this as offensive to even racist, but here's why I think it's not. When someone moves to a country with the majority of that country speaking a different language than they do, you would expect them to learn that language. Now, I'm not saying that somewhere in the Constitution or any laws in the fifty states should state that English should be the official language. I'm pretty much only implying that it'd be easier on the system and our society for everyone to have this common language that everyone in that country or region could understand. By the way, I'm also not saying that people should expect to love American style food or convert to a different religion. I'm only saying that having a common language could help us communicate with each other; people can still keep their native cultures. Couldn't it also, somewhat, bring us closer together and have more expression in people's cultures since more people could now understand them?

21 Answers

Relevance
  • J P
    Lv 7
    10 years ago
    Favorite Answer

I agree that a common language is absolutely necessary to maintain a cohesive, national culture. I think we've gone way too far in terms of political correctness with regard to accommodating those who refuse to learn English.

The odd thing is, that American Liberals are shocked and appalled when American tourists go to Europe and expect everyone there to speak English. But then logical consistency isn't their strong point.

• Janet
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

i think the united states needs to make a national language, weather that language be spanish and i have to learn spanish or it be english and somebody has to learn english. i don't mind that people speak a different language in the united states but i think that they should have at least a good understanding of the english language so that they can communicate or the government needs to give more money to the schools so we can learn more than just a little spanish. i think tim jones went about this issue all wrong, seeming to blame everything on the immigrants. its not there fault. if i could i would move to france and not have to learn french and hope that everybody else will learn english, that would be really awesome.

• 10 years ago

Yes, and I think that over time this happens. It doesn't always happen right away. One of the biggest complaints about European immigrants at the turn of the 20th Century was that they did not know or speak English. Well, they are still here and their children have become more fully assimilated into American culture.

I agree that people should strive to learn the language and culture of another nation when they immigrate; however, I recognize that it also takes time for that to happen. I think that it is prudent for things within the United States to be in multiple languages so that those who are newly immigrated are able to fully assert themselves into society.

• 10 years ago

I think its great, the national language is English and millions of immigrants have had to learn it before, but gives modern immigrants the right and the audacity to be so lazy as to not respect our country enough to learn it's language. The country does a lot for immigrants with nothing, the least they can do is learn it's language

Source(s): American
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 10 years ago

My brothers wife is American born Hispanic and her parents are legal immigrants from Mexico as well. They can't stand people sneaking over here and trying to force their failing country's values on our country! The left thinks that any state that's going to enforce the laws that the federal government refuses to force will go down in flames are going to be shocked once again when they see that most clear thinking Americans will back up their representatives and state leaders who finally stand up for our country's sovereignty!

• 10 years ago

i agree with that.

wonder WHY people here and around the world insist on believe the US belongs to anyone and everyone and that American culture IN America, for the love of pete, should subordinate itself to someone else's culture.

i say the hell with PC and pandering to anyone who complains!

studies show that having translations available hinders learning the desired language. this includes schoolchildren given classes in Spanish.

Victor D Hansen makes excellent points in this essay/column. http://pajamasmedia.com/victordavishanson/how-coul...

• Anonymous
    10 years ago

Does it ACTUALLY make sense to you that everyone in the US ought to have to learn to speak every one of the 3500 languages on Earth just so no one is offended? Maybe it would be easier if we went ahead and used OUR NATIONAL LANGUAGE.

What is the problem with learning to speak the language of the country you're living in?

• 10 years ago

Last time I checked Alabama is part of the United States and not Latin America, so I see no problem with what the Alabama governor candidate said.

• Anonymous
    10 years ago

We speak English all over this country not just in Al.

You want to speak Spanish and have Spanish street signs move to Mexico

• 10 years ago

Finally someone publicly said what a lot of people have been thinking. Not racist to me in the slightest.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.