'This is Alabama; we speak English,' governor candidate says. Your thoughts?

1 hr 58 mins ago

Amid a national debate over Arizona's tough new immigration law, Republican Alabama gubernatorial candidate Tim James (and son of previous Gov. Fob James) vows in a new campaign ad that if he's elected, he'll give the state driver's license exam only in English, as a cost-saving measure.

"This is Alabama; we speak English," he says in the ad. "If you want to live here, learn it.http://news.yahoo.com/s/ynews/20100428/ts_ynews/yn...

Edit:

I think Washington needs to provide an answer to this Immigration issue like yesterday. It's grown beyond problematic.

President Obama's Immigration Policy. http://www.whitehouse.gov/issues/immigration/

The "National Language" of America is in fact "English." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States

Favorite Answer

It's not like they're all that easy to understand there. Maybe if they taught Standard American English in the schools, people I know from Alabama wouldn't be ashamed of their accent. ∠°)

i think the united states needs to make a national language, weather that language be spanish and i have to learn spanish or it be english and somebody has to learn english. i don't mind that people speak a different language in the united states but i think that they should have at least a good understanding of the english language so that they can communicate or the government needs to give more money to the schools so we can learn more than just a little spanish.

i think tim jones went about this issue all wrong, seeming to blame everything on the immigrants. its not there fault. if i could i would move to france and not have to learn french and hope that everybody else will learn english, that would be really awesome.

English is not Americas official language, just pointing out that the guy needs to learn some facts before saying what he said.

It did not have to be so blunt, but it is the truth. Why give an exam in sixteen different languages?

and if they can't read they can take it orally. That makes no sense. All of the road signs are in English.

If you don't speak or read English how do you know what the signs say?

I've been to 'Bama, and I beg to differ!

My ancestors, like Tim James's, were dirty, smelly foreigners who came to America to steal Americans jobs, and they couldn't even speak English! (They were German). Thank God they did, too! The immigrants are the new Americans, and James is just another white-sheet-wearing backwoods idiot who loves hatred and wants to whip it up to the point of pogrom (killing sprees).

It's been done before, and the hate-filled Klan and Nazis took a terrible toll on the poor and colored people. You'd think that we were beyond that, but here it is again. I'm sure that at his next "Tim James for Governor" rally, there will be burning crosses and straight-arm salutes galore.

Hail the new face of the Republicans! All Hail! Hail! Hail! Hail! Drill! Drill! Drill, Baby, Drill!

I live in Florida and work at a public library. we get people here all the time that want to get library cards or use something or get something, but they don't speak English. I speak very poor Spanish that I learned about 30 years ago, so we have a hard time communicating. if they want to live here, they need to be legal and learn English. they need to assimilate enough that they can function without an interpreter.

Co-incidently they do speak English!

I mean, how odd! Right?! How could I have noticed that they speak English?

And English is better anyways. Know why? cause I speak it.

America doesn't have an official language so I think its wrong to do everything in just English

Honestly, he could have been a little more tactful, but I totally agree with him.

• Jeff P

My thoughts? I think he is a racist tw*t.