Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 1 decade ago

Is Brother Nathaniel a MESSIANIC JEW or "Something Else"?

It's hard to determine with this person. I know he converted from Judaism and is now an Orthodox Christian of some kind.

I found the site when searching for Messianic information.

Some of his writings there border on the White Supremist style. Yet he's out there in public and hasn't been arrested yet.

What do you make of this Brother Nathaniel? http://www.brothernathanael.com/

Favorite Answer

No he hates Judaism. He thinks it's the antichrist.

He's a Jew by birth that converted to Orthodox Christianity. He's entertaining. He really hates Judaism and really likes telling Jews how evil he thinks they are.

He doesn't come off like a white supremicist, he comes off like someone that hates Judaism and people that practice Judaism. He's doesn't hate "Jewish blood" though. It's the religion he hates and the people who would practice that religion that he hates. I think he might be rebelling against his family too. His parents tried to get him rehabilitated back to Judaism, lol.

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Some of his writings there border on the White Supremist style. Yet he's out there in public and...

Source(s): brother nathaniel messianic jew quot quot: https://shortly.im/rCL1X

answer: I've starred for my Jewish contacts. As I understand it (and I may be wrong) - Messianic Jews believe that Jesus is the messiah and that he was divine. That's in contradiction to the Jewish religion. That makes them Christians. Jesus didn't fulfill the prophecies. He was supposedly of divine origin - the messiah won't be. G-d cannot become human. Jesus is presented as a human sacrifice, taking on the sins of everyone - that's against Jewish teachings. The Messiah will be human and fulfill all the prophecies in one life time - no second coming. There is no original sin to be saved from. No threat of hell. See how Christianity is incompatible with Judaism? You can't be Christian and Jewish at the same time. And there is no Jewish bible. That's a Christian term. There is the Tanakh, not the Old Testament and no New Testament in Judaism. # # # If someone doesn't believe Jesus was divine, then he was just a prophet and not the messiah. He didn't fulfill the prophecies. Christians justify worshipping him because they claim he'll return and fulfill the ones he didn't. If he was a prophet, he won't be back. That means he couldn't be the messiah - divine or not. He didn't fulfill the prophecies. If someone believes Jesus was a prophet only, they'd more likely be a Muslim. Jews don't believe he was a prophet either. If they think of him at all it's usually as a teacher. # # # Then I have a question: does your Jewish bible have the New Testament?

Lord have mercy! he is not a "Messianic" Jew. He is Jewish (by blood) and he converted to Christianity, Eastern Orthodoxy to be specific. An Eastern Orthodox Christian in the USA reading his blog knows who and what he is speaking of. Brother Nathaniel is/was a monastic. And he is what we Orthodox call "a fool for Christ".

Let me state at the outset that “Brother Nathaniel” is not in any way a representative of the Orthodox Church or an example of Orthodox living.

This man, whose legal name is Milton Kapner, was baptized in 1988 by clergy of a schismatic sect called the “Holy Orthodox Church of North America,” or HOCNA.

Prior to this, he had indeed been an active member of the messianic “Jews for Jesus” movement (see the “Highway 9 conversion” article).

In 1992, he became a novice monk in a HOCNA monastery, but sometime later he moved to Colorado, to a monastery belonging to a different schismatic group. Eventually, he left that monastery also — it appears that he may have been kicked out, but he won’t say — and took to doing his own thing on the streets.

A monastic “brother” in Orthodox Christian parlance is a novice — someone who is merely trying out the monastic life as a member of a particular community. When such a person separates from his community, he loses whatever right he had to call himself “Brother [Name]” and to wear the clothes of a monk.

I don’t judge his soul — only God knows the heart — but I can say that his conspiracy theories come from his own head, and not from the Orthodox Christian faith.

Finally, I question Macrina’s statement that Mr. Kapner is a “fool for Christ.” It is clear from one of his blog postings that he *thinks* he is a fool for Christ. But the very fact that he announces this, and his online self-promotion in general, suggest that he is no such thing. Furthermore, a fool for Christ might violate social norms or certain outward expressions of piety, but he will always be an Orthodox Christian. He might shock his bishop with his strange behavior and audacity; but he will *have* a bishop (and a real one at that).

I hope this helps.

+

P.S. You write that you are surprised that he is “out there in public and hasn’t been arrested yet,” even though “Some of his writings … border on the White Supremacist style.” I can’t say if Kapner is any sort of white supremacist — I have only seen his Anti-Jewish rantings.

I find them abhorrent. However, as an American, I thank God that neither he nor anyone else may be arrested because of the content of the opinions they express. I believe that free men and women, if they want to preserve freedom for themselves and their children, must support and defend the freedoms of their fellow citizens — even when they bitterly disagree with them.

+

Source(s): * I am a lifelong Eastern Orthodox Christian and a student of theology. * See Ryan Slabaugh, "Highway 9 conversion," Summit Daily News, 8 September 2006: http://www.summitdaily.com/article/20060908/NEWS/1... * Note that Kapner links approvingly to this article on his blog, stating that it contains "My Biography": http://www.brothernathanael.com/?p=6 * The "Holy Fool" blog post: http://www.brothernathanael.com/?p=26 * An account of some actual fools for Christ: http://www.roca.org/OA/105/105f.htm

He's a complete loony. Looking at his website was two minutes of my life that I'll never get back.

Just some mentally ill clod with access to a computer.