Do you automatically assume fat people are stupid?

I'm wondering how many people automatically assume that fat people are stupid? And how many disagree? I know that's what I automatically assume. Anytime I see a fat person speaking, or giving advice, I pretty much take it with a grain of salt, because I assume if this person isn't even smart enough... show more I'm wondering how many people automatically assume that fat people are stupid? And how many disagree? I know that's what I automatically assume. Anytime I see a fat person speaking, or giving advice, I pretty much take it with a grain of salt, because I assume if this person isn't even smart enough to lay down the donut, how are they smart enough to talk about whatever they are talking about. If I see a fat teacher, I'm automatically going to assume "what is that person even doing trying to teach anyone something".

Now I know that yes there are exceptions, on a rare occasion a fat person might be smart. I also know that some may argue that having a lack of self control for eating, and a lack of motivation to exercise, is different than a lack of intelligence. However I really think they go hand in hand, in such a way that fat people are pretty stupid to not see what they are doing to themselves. Same way you'd probably assume that someone who doesn't ever brush their teeth is probably not very smart.

Now I'm not talking about 10-20 pound overweight people, since that last 10 pounds can be hard for many, but rather I think of it more in proportion, the bigger the person, the less the intelligence. Anyone who is obese or bigger, I simply don't see them as smart enough to be a productive person.

Now I don't necessarily automatically assume all skinny people are smart, since there are many twig people who have super high metabolisms, or many times they smoke, or simply stay skinny no matter what. Sometimes those skinny people can be dumb too, but I think in general they are going to be much smarter.

But then compare to someone in great shape. someone who eats healthy, exercises, etc. (we all know that exercise and healthy foods are good for the brain as well) When I see someone who is in great shape, muscular build, I'm going to automatically assume they are likely to be a smart person. Sure there is the whole argument I mentioned earlier that perhaps self control and intelligence are two separate things, but I think if someone is smart enough to keep their own body and health in shape, that they are probably smarter in all other aspects in their life.

So bottom line, say I want to learn something, and 3 teachers stand out and offer, and obese person, a twig person, or an athletic person. I'm automatically going to go with the athletic person, the skinny person would be my second choice, and the obese person last. How about you guys, do you feel the same way?

PS: Just for the record, I know how difficult self control is. I come from 2 parents that were both in the 300-400 pound range, so I definetly have fat genes that make it harder. I was also raised on the same garbage they ate that made themselves so big, so I was also fat as a kid. But around 17 I made the switch, eat only healthy low fat foods, go to the gym often, exercise almost every day, and now I'm in extremely good shape. So I do know what its like, and since I did it just fine, no reason all the obese people in america can't.
Update: One last note, in case I didn't make it clear. I'm not nesessarily saying that fat people "are" stupid. But rather is your first impression by looking at a fat person that they are stupid?