Negatives to Food Preservatives?

-Do food preservatives have a negative effect on the human body? (and which ones are capable of doing what)

-How negative/bad can those effects get?

-How much has to be ingested for harmful effects on the body?

Best Answer

Preservative food additives can be used alone or in conjunction with other methods of food preservation. Preservatives may be antimicrobial preservatives, which inhibit the growth of bacteria and fungi and mold growth, or antioxidants such as oxygen absorbers, which inhibit the oxidation of food constituents. Common antimicrobial preservatives include calcium propionate, sodium nitrate, sodium nitrite, sulfites (sulfur dioxide, sodium bisulfite, potassium hydrogen sulfite, etc.) and disodium EDTA. Antioxidants include BHA and BHT. Other preservatives include formaldehyde (usually in solution), glutaraldehyde (kills insects), ethanol and methylchloroisothiazolinone. FDA standards do not currently require fruit and vegetable product labels to reflect the type of chemical preservative(s) used on the produce.[citation needed] The benefits and safety of many artificial food additives (including preservatives) are the subject of debate among academics and regulators specializing in food science and toxicology, and of course biology.

[edit]Natural food preservation

Natural substances such as salt, sugar, vinegar, alcohol, and diatomaceous earth are also used as traditional preservatives. Certain processes such as freezing, pickling, smoking and salting can also be used to preserve food. Another group of preservatives targets enzymes in fruits and vegetables that continue to metabolize after they are cut. For instance, citric and ascorbic acids from lemon or other citrus juice can inhibit the action of the enzyme phenolase which turns surfaces of cut apples and potatoes brown.

[edit]Health concerns

Some modern synthetic preservatives have become controversial because they have been shown to cause respiratory or other health problems. Some studies point to synthetic preservatives and artificial coloring agents aggravating ADD & ADHD symptoms in those affected.[1][2] Older studies were inconclusive, quite possibly due to inadequate clinical methods of measuring offending behavior. Parental reports were more accurate indicators of the presence of additives than clinical tests. [3] Several major studies show academic performance increased and disciplinary problems decreased in large non-ADD student populations when artificial ingredients, including preservatives were eliminated from school food programs. [4][5] Allergenic preservatives in food or medicine can cause anaphylactic shock in susceptible individuals, a condition which is often fatal within minutes without emergency treatment.

OMG YES! and HOW! It can kill you literally. I am highly allergic to food preservative no 261 which is a BEEF food aditive usually put in packet soups etc..... or pre packaged foods. I think different people have different allergies to different preservatives though. Some people may not be allergic to anything while others can be allergic to a multitude of things while others only to one thing. At first I was not aware that i am allergic to anything and it took a few times of me becoming EXTREMELY sick before I realised I needed to check what I ate a few minutes or a few hours before and it took a few times of being VERY VERY sick to find out exactly what the cause was because on the package soup there were quite a few preservatives and food colouring so i needed to know exactly what it was and slowely over time when I ate other things where on the back of the packages it said food aditive no 261 i realised that must be it!

Anyway the best thing is to cook everything yourself as you always know whats in your food :):).

When i had the symptoms I had consistant dihaorea like water ( lots alot of fluid) constant FORCEFUL vomiting (like in the horror movies) where everything flys on to the opposit wall forcefully and red itchi hives all over my body including my head and ears lips etc.. hands everywhere , HORRIFIC stomac

cramps that hurt so much I could not even stand and shivering like cold all over my body. I thought I was dying, truely. my lips also swelled. I could not get off the toilet for a few hours at all. I needed to call the paramedics and did not have to go to the hospital at the endbut the paramedics had to help me at home. that happend to me a few times before I found out what the actual preservative was. I personaly think that I may end up in hospital if that happens again. for me even a small amount of injesting that cr_p can cause alot of distress. If I buy new things in the supermarket ( something that I have not had before I always look for whats in the pack now.. anything that has food aditive no 261 I will NEVER EVER buy now. Mind you my son has those things and his body is just fine with it.. we are all different creatures.

Cheers!

Source(s): LIfe experience

against. it isn't the way nature meant foodstuff to be eaten, those ingredients and preservatives can boost in our bodies long term. For. is especially helpful to retailers giving it extra valuable coloration and an prolonged shelf existence.