Can you leave the country if your on probation for a minor offense?

My girlfriend, who will be 18 at the end of may, recently received a ticket for a curfew violation. She met with someone to set her court date and was informed that her minimum sentence would be 8 hours of community service, $175 fine and one months probation, starting on her court date (May 5th). The only problem with this is we will be leaving the country June 1st for Australia, Europe, and parts of the U.S. not returning until early august. $20,000 have been spent already in plane, train and hotels and everything reserved and paid for back in January. Will her court punishment effect her ability to leave the country? Also she has no other criminal record, this is her first ticket, ever.

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 10 years ago
    Favorite Answer

While on probation, she can not even legally leave the state (and in some instances, the county) without permission from the probation department. An attempt to leave the country while on probation might not be caught upon leaving the U.S., but almost certainly will be caught upon your return. It will be charged as a probation violation.

Your best bet is to have her speak with the probation department to see if she may obtain permission. If approved, they will give her a card that she may carry with her to show that she has legal consent to take this trip.

• Anonymous
    10 years ago

Probable she can go after the probation. It's unlikely the probation department will allow her to skip probation until August. She needs permission to stay out the country, not just leave.

• 4 years ago

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Can you leave the country if your on probation for a minor offense?

My girlfriend, who will be 18 at the end of may, recently received a ticket for a curfew violation. She met with someone to set her court date and was informed that her minimum sentence would be 8 hours of community service, $175 fine and one months probation, starting on her court date (May 5th)....

Source(s): leave country probation minor offense: https://shortly.im/E7FZr
  • 10 years ago

I don't think you can leave the country in any legal wayif your on any kind of probation

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 4 years ago

MOst likely you can leave, but not without permission from your probation officer. The PO will let you know what you have to do in order to leave

• 10 years ago

Quite frankly, she might not be allowed to leave. However, you can probably work something out with the prosecution. A one month probation is almost unheard of.

• 10 years ago

It all depends on what the terms of the probation are, she should call her probation officer. But one month probation? are you kidding me? that's just flat out retarded.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.