Would you get sick if there was one moldy strawberry in a box of strawberries but you only ate the good ones?

I threw the moldy one out and washed my hands thoroughly and now i'm soaking some good strawberries in the same box of strawberries where the moldy one was found. Will I be alright? Should I just throw the whole thing out or return it?

11 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    10 years ago
    Best Answer

Even if you were to eat the moldy strawberries you probably wouldn't become sick. Mold on food is not usually associated with food poisoning. Mold is type of fungus. Sometimes an allergic reaction or a sensitivity may occur when consuming a fungus, but its usually nothing serious (unless you eat a deadly poisonous mushroom).

There are all kinds of good fungi that grow on food. Yeast, for example, is a type of fungus used to make bread, wine and beer. Mold is also used to make some types of cheeses. Blue cheese is inoculated with mold and can be seen as blue specks in the cheese.

Mold usually only causes food to spoil. It has nothing to do with getting sick. Botulism, for example, is a deadly form of food poisoning. The type of bacteria that causes botulism does not spoil the food. Food that is is contaminated with this bacteria does not look bad, taste bad or smell bad... and this is why people die from it... they can't tell that the food has been contaminated. The majority of cases of food poisoning are caused by bacteria, viruses, parasites, toxins, physical contamination and chemical contamination. Bacteria is the most prevalent cause of food poisoning.

You'll be fine.

Source(s): chef culinary school grad serv/safe certified current food handler's card 29 years in the industry
  • 4 years ago

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Would you get sick if there was one moldy strawberry in a box of strawberries but you only ate the good ones?

I threw the moldy one out and washed my hands thoroughly and now i'm soaking some good strawberries in the same box of strawberries where the moldy one was found. Will I be alright? Should I just throw the whole thing out or return it?

Source(s): sick moldy strawberry box strawberries ate good ones: https://shortly.im/F0tSx
  • gosman
    Lv 4
    3 years ago

Mold On Strawberries

• Anonymous
    10 years ago

To be honest, if you JUST got it, return it and complain. If you have a receipt this works out fine. Stores shouldn't be putting anything moldy on the shelves. However, if you have no proof of the moldy one, you can't return it.

The others, if not moldy and washed, are fine.

Try chopping them up and putting sugar in with them. This makes for a great topping on angel food cake, pound cake, toast, oatmeal, cereal, yogurt, and more.

Just keep your eyes open more when buying fruit - especially that boxed stuff...they can be tricky. But if you get home next time after buying some and you see mold again - return the stuff immediately. =)

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Lee
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

You can definatly eat the ones that arent moldy. As for the moldy ones, if more than a quarter is moldy, i wouldnt sugest eating it. If it only has a little, take off the mold.

• Jim
    Lv 7
    10 years ago

No you aren't going to get sick from it. You should have just washed the other fruit off to remove the mold spores, but even so, you aren't going to get sick by eating a little bit of mold.

• jc
    Lv 7
    10 years ago

No.

even the good one's have mold( although invisible).

Mold does not mean sickness.

Most molds are safe and in many cheeses( other than blues) desirable and perfectly safe.

Same with the berries.

Almost all berries contain mold.

• 10 years ago

Common molds like that actually contain penacillin. People usually don't get sick form food mold.

• 10 years ago

As long as you washed the ones you did eat you're fine! A lil mold never hurt anyone! You can even cut it off of your cheese and still eat your cheese.

• ?
    Lv 4
    3 years ago

That's an good question, looking forward to going through the answers

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.