Even if you were to eat the moldy strawberries you probably wouldn't become sick. Mold on food is not usually associated with food poisoning. Mold is type of fungus. Sometimes an allergic reaction or a sensitivity may occur when consuming a fungus, but its usually nothing serious (unless you eat a deadly poisonous mushroom).
There are all kinds of good fungi that grow on food. Yeast, for example, is a type of fungus used to make bread, wine and beer. Mold is also used to make some types of cheeses. Blue cheese is inoculated with mold and can be seen as blue specks in the cheese.
Mold usually only causes food to spoil. It has nothing to do with getting sick. Botulism, for example, is a deadly form of food poisoning. The type of bacteria that causes botulism does not spoil the food. Food that is is contaminated with this bacteria does not look bad, taste bad or smell bad... and this is why people die from it... they can't tell that the food has been contaminated. The majority of cases of food poisoning are caused by bacteria, viruses, parasites, toxins, physical contamination and chemical contamination. Bacteria is the most prevalent cause of food poisoning.
You'll be fine.
culinary school grad
current food handler's card
29 years in the industry
· 10 years ago