Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 1 decade ago

How was Thomas A. Edison a rebel? What did he oppose?

I need the answers for my research essay due like in 2 wks. Thanks

Favorite Answer

He wasn’t a rebel, but he was somewhat arrogant and self-serving like his good friend, Henry Ford.

What did he oppose? He opposed anyone who threatened his 'empire,' i.e., those who threatened his DC (Direct Current) patents and royalties. And, as far as I know, this was the only thing he opposed.

When electricity was in its infancy in the late 19th century, it had yet to be decided what current would be best adopted for use in the USA. Edison was a proponent of DC, while George Westinghouse and Nikola Tesla, a brilliant man but ever so eccentric, were proponents of AC (Alternating Current).

This conflict culminated in the ‘Battle of the Currents’, that went on for several years:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/War_of_Currents

Edison lost this battle. And this is why we use AC in the USA today. DC is still used in limited applications though.

He was an atheist who was quoted as saying "Religion is all bunk".

Correction - make that a Deist. Deism is not an organized religion but more of an belief regarding the nature of God.

He stole things from Nicoli Tesla.