Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

How good is the Swiss Guard?

You know the swiss guard, the dudes who guard the pope, how good of Guards are they. I know that they're little dresses and Spear are just ceremonial ( like the marines and their officer uniform) and that there are actual guards with guns and stuff. So my question is how good are they compared to other organizations around the world like: the british SAS, the CIA, green beret, delta force, Spetsnez, GSG9 and other government forces. I hear the training to be a Swiss Guard is just as hard as British SAS and the Marines.

Also when was the last time the Swiss Guards actually met a threat or faced an enemy

thanx

Favorite Answer

The Swiss Guards have training on the level of Delta Force which is really the highest (publicly known) special forces in the U.S. military. The Swiss Guards started out and still have mercenary regiments.

Swiss Guard Training

The Swiss Guard are a security force. You cannot compare them to the forces you listed as they are primarilly military forces and have a different mission. The Swiss Guard's job is to protect the Pope. Like the Secret Service protects the President.

History shows the Pope and the Vatican being attacked by invaders. There are some people who hate the Pope and would like nothing more to see an unprotected Pope. John Paul II traveled less protected and then was shot. After that they created the bullet proof car he traveled around in. I got to see it up close in World Youth Day in Denver, 1993. Jesus' dominion extends over the earth through the preaching and sacramental ministry of the Church (Mt 28:18-20). I think it was important that the Vatican state be sovereign so as not to be under the influence of any country or secular state.

I would say that they are pretty good. They are professionals, specially selected and trained to guard the most important figure in the Roman Catholic faith. Kobe-Petey tried to be a cook for the Swiss Guard but was rejected for failing the intelligence test.

Hoooaaaaahhhhhhhhh!

Who are you kidding about the level of Delta Force?

• Pete T

Don't know about the guard, but I sure like their cheese.

• If threatened, they will shoot you full of holes , like swiss cheese! ☺