What size baby diapers?

I am pregnant, and want to start buying some things. My mom said she would buy a pack of diapers every pay day and it helped them out a lot..so, that's what I want to do. I plan on breastfeeding, but is there any type of formula I should buy as a back up? I just want to start getting little things, so that when I get further along I can focus on all of the big items. What size diapers should I be buying..I know that babies grow fast!

Any other staple items I could start buying early on?

Thanks everyone. So, I think I will just buy maybe one pack of each size..and just start with bath stuff, first aid, burp clothes, plain white onesies...and so on..I just feel the need to start buying stuff..haha...and I did see a cute black and white diaper bag..will have to get that too.....lol

Favorite Answer

Don't buy too many diapers in the smaller sizes in advance. Babies grow fast, and some will skip the newborn size. All babies are different, so it's not easy to predict what size and how many they will need.

Hospitals typically will give you newborn size diapers. So I'd buy some size 1 diapers, size 2, size 3, etc. Buy enough size 1 and 2 diapers to last you a month each, no more. That may be all you need.

It may be better, to instead set money aside. That way you can budget out for diapers and other supplies rather then buying too much in advance and wasting your money on unused diapers.

I agree with the lady who said it might make more sense to just start a diaper and supply fund. You never know what you are going to need and what is going to work best for your baby.

My son was 10 pounds when he was born. He never fit in the newborn diapers. Then to make matters worse, he has an extremely sensitive bottom. We went through every brand of diaper and wipes before we found the right combo that worked for him. Plus they grow so fast in the beginning. It seemed like every time I bought a big bag of one size, he was out growing them before I got half way through the bag. I gave away packages of diapers.

I also would not worry about the formula right now. The hospital will have some if needed, and its not like you can't send your husband or mom to get some if you really need some. If that does happen, we used Similac... although around 6 months my son started to have problems with that and I switched him over to Gerber Good Start Pro Plus. Again, that depends on the baby and each one reacts differently. So don't buy too much until you are sure it will work.

• Alma

I bought a little of each size to get me started. I bought a big box of new born diapers, a box of size 1 diapers, and a box of size 2 diapers. My baby wore newborn diapers until she was 2-2 1/2 months old. Now she is 4 months old and she can wear size 1 or 2 (the both work) My baby weighed 7 pounds when she was born. She's 4 months old now and weighs around 15 pounds. If you buy a little of each you should be safe. Just keep the receipts just in case.

As far as formula goes... your baby might have to try a few different types before you figure out which one is best for his/her. Hopefully your baby and you will do well with breast feeding and you won't have to worry too much about formula. Just make sure you are drinking A LOT while breast feeding. Staying hydrated keeps your milk flowing. I made the mistake of not drinking enough and my milk dried up when my baby was only 5 weeks old and I had to use formula.

OH by the way... most breast fed babies poop after each feeding (at least my baby did) so I went through a lot of new born diapers. They do grow out of them fast, but they use a lot of them still.

EDIT: For bath stuff I recommend Burt's Bees. It's 98% natural. If you go to skindeep.com you will see that most baby bath products have TONS of chemicals in them that are very bad for you.

• jlb

If you want to breastfeed don't buy formula. It will only hurt you in the long run.

Don't buy more then one box of newborn size diapers. They don't last long. Size 1 starts at 8lbs and most newborns use about 10 diapers a day for the 1st several weeks.

Also, maybe you should just put $20 away in a special diaper fund each pay period rather then actually buying diapers. All those boxes will take up a lot of room, you don't know how long your baby will be in each size or which brand will fit your baby the best. Just an idea.

Good Luck!

I would only buy 1-2 packs of newborn diapers, since they grow out of them quick and some babies skip them altogether. I would buy mostly size 1 and up. My daughter is 7 months and is in size 3 diapers! I wouldn't buy any formula, maybe 1 can of Enfamil or Similac just in case, but the hospital will provide formula while you are there if you can't breastfeed for some reason.

• I did the exact same thing as your mom and trust me, it REALLY helped out a lot!! Here's what I did: I bought sizes 2,3,4,5,6 and then I would start over again. Depending on how much longer you have to go you'll end up with a few boxes of each size and that way you won't have to buy many once the baby's here. Also, I think we had about 7-8 big boxes of wipes because you'll go through TONS of wipes too.

I wouldn't buy formula because you might end up with a certain kind that your baby won't take.

You'll probably get lots of NB and size 1 diapers and your baby shower, we did and we never had to buy any of those sizes, and we actually had so many boxes given to us that we were able to go and exchange those for bigger sizes.

Source(s): Edit:: You could start buying baby wash, shampoo, lotions, desitin, baby tylenol, mylicon, spoons & sippy cups (you'll be surprised at how fast they grow into these!) Also burp cloths, we could NEVER have enough burp cloths!
  • Erika

purchase the clothing in larger sizes, like 300 and sixty 5 days and up. in case you intend on having a infant bathe you wil recieve ALOT of 0-3 months sized outfits. the baby grows out of those the quickest. in case you pick to purchase diapers, purchase the size a million first and then pass from there. yet remember the wellness facility in many situations deliver you living house with some packs of length a million diapers besides so dont over do it! As for the shoes. i think of which would be an entire waste of money, by no skill lay our a fortune on infant shoes. Their little ft strengthen so speedy they somewhat get a guess to extremely positioned on them. you're greater effective off procuring some cute shoes at objective or WalMart. Even Payless. You dont choose shoes on your infant untill they start walking anyhow, and hopefull by employing the time your infant is around a 300 and sixty 5 days previous you're starting to be discovered your financial priorities. sturdy success

Get newborn diapers, but i wouldn't load up on them because your baby isn't going 2 be in new born diapers but for about 2 1/2 months depending on the way your baby grows . . . . .&&. if your having a baby shower most people give diapers.!!

I would buy a couple packs of new born diapers and a couple packs of size 1 and formula as a backup you should buy Good start with dha in it

Source(s): mom of a 6 yr old 3 yr old and a 6 month old

get only a few NB sizes. believe me they dont stay in those sizes very long. get a lot of size 1. my son skipped size 2 entirely and went straight to size 3. my son was on similac and did great.

good luck and congrats