Can doing a engine flush damage the motor?

I had a engine flush done on my car and the next day the engine started knocking and sounds like it may be the crank shaft. Can someone please help me with this

9 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

it is possible that there was gunk/sludge build up on a bad bearing that kept you from hearing it now that you cleaned that out you hear the knock. its common in transmissions after a flush problems start. since you have removed some of what kept things sealed and quiet

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

It can if the flush is not done properly. One of the side effects of an engine flush is that it moves any slush or dirt that is in the engine to another location. Sometimes that slush is what is keeping things running as they should. Here are steps you might consider taking:

1.) Check your engine oil. Make sure you are not low on oil.

2.) Buy a can of cleaner for your fuel system, fill your car with high quality fuel (not regular) gas and put in the fuel system cleaner

3.) Drive the car for 20-30 minutes.

If it's still knocking or acting strange, see an auto mechanic.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Let's see. Open owners manual (any owners manual on any car) and look up engine flush. Nothing there. Guess all those car engineers and techs screwed up big time. What does this tell you? Sorry you did that. Go back and ask them.

Anyone or any business that says this should be done and that there is a correct way needs to also give a full guarantee that if anything wrong happens they will do all repairs for free. Since they won't do that, it's all a hot air rip off.

• Sarah
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

For the best answers, search on this site https://shorturl.im/axEhr

This is tricky. You can rev to get it started, but once running smoothly, and brought to idle, I would not exceed 4K on a tack (which you probably don't have) so you'd be guessing. Secondly, with no load on the engine there are several potential problems that may occur. As a Marine Mechanic, I've done this countless times with on damage, but you get a feel for what the max rpm is, so I'd recommend caution, because even if the chance is remote, you could damage the engine.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

if not done correctly, yes it can damage the engine. you put it in the engine (1 bottle) WITH oil. the car should be started and allowed to idle for 5-10 minutes then drained out. put in new oil and new oil filter. under no circumstances is the car/engine supposed to be driven or revved up during the flushing process. if it was, there's your problem. good luck!

• 1 decade ago

once you let it run for about 5 minutes your suppose to shut it down and change the oil and filter and don,t sit there and rev the engine while it,s cleaning either. you probably spun a bearing and maybe scared the crank. next time read the directions on the can. it tells you how to flush it.

• 1 decade ago

if the engine sludge was holding something together or sealing a leak it could defiantly cause problems. I personally wont do engine flushes on cars with lots of mile for this reason.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

no it shouldn't......but it can bring to light an existing problem.........so basically ur motor was in bad shape and now that it has been cleaned u can hear how bad of shape its in......

** only way for a engine flush to make motor knock would to b leave teh flush in motor and drive it around...but would take a wile..

** u check the oil lvl and make sure its good??

Source(s): bottom line is u need new motor or new car...
  • 1 decade ago

Wesley is 100% correct

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.