Anonymous

black people and the one drop rule?

Why is it now if black people use the one drop rule to say that Obama, Halle, Mariah,etc. are black, some people will say we're wrong but over 100 years, even people who could be just 1/8 black were black. Is it because now that there is more biracials than ever and that one is president, white people tend to claim them more and so now black people are supposed to pretend the past never existed? LOL, what do you think...

Best Answer

I don't even understand why this is still a issue.

WE ARE EQUAL.

Never even heard of the one drop rule until you mentioned it....hmm must means times are changing! Im 24 and if a mixed person tells me what they are...I tend to say ok cool!- But most of the time I figure half white/ half black babies are black unless they look white.

Its all about the phenotype!!

My sister married a white dude and all of us love him, he's between the kin, so we no longer all like that. I unquestionably do no longer care as long because of the fact the black female I see a white dude with ain't my spouse, lol. there's a great type of self-segregation interior the black community and an intolerance to outsiders. it is stupid, yet to a great type of black adult men, a black guy with a white female is seen as a form of justice: something he's taken from "the guy", mutually as a white guy with a black female is seen as a unfavorable intrusion into the black community. Sorry to declare, however the black community struggles with progression too. the assumption of "shade-blindness" is something many black people assume of alternative races, yet sense no legal duty to stay as much as themselves.

I don't claim them. They are black if they have black facial characteristics and "black" skin not matter how light. I don't know why they did or didn't claim them over 100 years ago, I wasn't here.

The white slave master made that up when he sold slaves that were biracial and that's when house slaves came to surface. one drop rule is very stupid, and I think a multiracial/biracial person should be recognized for all of what that person is mixed with.

The one drop rule will always apply because usually when a person is mixed with black and something else ....the person comes out looking more black with black features.

Like the girl on the left :http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_aPl4tm2lJaM/SCWefmoh0NI/...

(She's half black, half white.)

Because many of us want to identify with both our parents, and last I checked it's 2010, not 1800.

I think it shouldnt matter. Biracials have it much harder because people wont just except them as biracial . They always want to shove them over to one side and thats fvcked up.

As far as Obama is concerned, his father was black, his mother was white. His father ran off and died. He was raised by his white mother, and then his white grandparents. If you HAD to call him black or white, which would you call him?

100 years ago, that's a long time no? Durr....