If you pay car registration, but don't receive license plate sticker in time, can you still drive the car?

We want to pay the registration, but there is no way that we would receive the stickers before the end of April. The car sticker says April, 2010. If we pay the registration on it, can we still legally drive it and they just look up the registration if I get pulled (Knock on wood!!)? I really need to know. i need the car may 1, and I want to pay the registration online because I have no time what so ever to get to the DMV personally. Thanks, Michael D.

Best Answer

Yes you will be fine. Keep with you the temporary permit (when you pay they should have given you one or been able to print one out).

Good luck with that. You could have paid the fees a month before they expired. Even if you get out of the ticket you may get, you will still need to "find the time" to go to court and prove you paid for the registration.

You should be ok. Keep proof of payment in the car with you until you receive the sticker. But......Why not have someonhe else go to a walk-in DMV and buy the sticker for you?

If you in California you may not get your tags unless the DMV has proof of insurance which is electronically filed by your insurance company. And, if your VIN # is wrong with your insurance company the DMV will not get notified of your insurance. Call the DMV and ask them what the delay is on getting your tags.