If you pay car registration, but don't receive license plate sticker in time, can you still drive the car?

We want to pay the registration, but there is no way that we would receive the stickers before the end of April. The car sticker says April, 2010. If we pay the registration on it, can we still legally drive it and they just look up the registration if I get pulled (Knock on wood!!)? I really need to know. i need... show more We want to pay the registration, but there is no way that we would receive the stickers before the end of April. The car sticker says April, 2010. If we pay the registration on it, can we still legally drive it and they just look up the registration if I get pulled (Knock on wood!!)? I really need to know. i need the car may 1, and I want to pay the registration online because I have no time what so ever to get to the DMV personally. Thanks, Michael D.