are evil and insane the same thing?

what do you think?

9 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    10 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Not at all. I would say it's kind of impossible to be evil if you're truly insane. Insanity suggests a detachment from normal paths of reasoning. Evil suggests an intent to cause pain. To be evil you must know that the pain you're causing is wrong and enjoy it because of that fact. If you were insane it'd be unlikely that you could reason that your actions were wrong whilst simultaneously enjoying them.

Insanity could be the cause for actions which are percieved by the public to be 'evil' but which are in fact not evil because the individual responsible for said actions was either unaware of the consequences or did not intend for them.

On the other hand... in an odd way you could argue that insanity is a detachment from norms and so is evilness. What is considered evil by one culture may not be by another, so evil is a relative idea, something is only evil because it's not acceptable inside the culture it's being inflicted upon.

Insanity works in the same way: someone is considered insane if the way they think is different to the way everyone else thinks, if everyone else thought the same way as the insane then the insane wouldn't be considered insane even though they're still thinking exactly the same thing.

But even then, in a culture where what we consider to be evil is acceptable and where everyone thinks in what we would call an insane way, there would be actions which were deemed evil and thoughts which were considered insane, and they wouldn't be the same thing.

So, no, I guess they're not the same thing. Nice question though, got my brain working.

• Login to reply the answers
  • 10 years ago

they differ, the be connected, but for the most part they mean two different things. to be evil is to be cruel to act upon someone in a gruesome manner or to do something that is morally wrong. to be insane is to be absurd, to be twisted, strange. see the difference with insanity is that you can still be humane, you can be a kind insane person, where as evil, you are just evil.

• 10 years ago

most of the evil deeds are committed by perfectly sane persons after careful planning and study. an insane person's deeds are not based on reasoning and he does not understand what he is doing. so both are different.however some evil deeds involving extreme cruelty are called" insane deeds" as they were committed when the person completely lost control over his senses.

Source(s): general
  • ___
    Lv 5
    10 years ago

Not at all, but the insane may be less inclined to notice a difference between right and wrong. Then again, on occasion, the sane cannot agree on right or wrong either.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    10 years ago

characteristic of a person who is mentally deranged called insane

having a nature or properties which tend to badness; mischievous; not good; worthless or deleterious called evil

example - Evil drives insane due to ones encounter with the evil

• Anonymous
    10 years ago

no.

like there are degrees of good and evil characteristics in sane people,

the same goes for the insane.

• jo
    Lv 6
    10 years ago

No. I have worked in psycho clinics and found most of the insane to be quite mild personalities. though not often very serious.

• 10 years ago

No, evil people are aware of their wrong doings, insane people just don't know any better.

• 10 years ago

No, but I think, both are undesirable and harmful.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.