Italians only (and southern and eastern europeans )?

I'm european and one of my black friends argues that italians are black people because they are not white skinned lol I'm just amazed at some peoples ignorance..but anyway...I would like to hear it from an italian.. I'm pretty sure you italians are white ..and sicilians are just a little darker because of the climate ..also...even though your white .. i know SOME italians who claim they are not white..even though they look it..is there a reason behind that ..becuase they prefer to be called italian rather than white ive also had some mexican friends who state italians are similar to them and therefore they are not white (and they're flag is smiliar and they speak the same language, although i disagree) ...are italians similar to people living in the balkans (bosnia,croatia, serbia etc. ) because its a bordering country and other southern and eastern countires in europe... I want to hear this from a True italian so elaborate as thoroughly as you can

Favorite Answer

the Italian people are white european , genetically, the Italians are amongst the most diverse people in europe , italians have a wide range of genetic makeup, among the most diverse in europe, even though there is a unifying Latin substrate and Romanisation throughout the Italian peninsula , this is due to immigration and conquests of people from many other territories and regions throughout europe and the mediterranean basin ,

in addition to the romanisation of the indigenous italic peoples, other groups have left strong traces. people from central Italy have a stratum of etruscan, as the etruscans, despite difficulty in tracing their true origins, were mainly based in Etruria (modern Tuscany and parts of modern Emilia-Romagna, Umbria and Lazio). Southern Italians and Sicilians also have diverse origins, with the latin and strong Greek stratums absorbing the original indigenous peoples, and subsequent settlements of lombards, byzantines, saracens, normans, spaniards, french, and other peoples contributing .

sardinia has unique genetic composition, although sardinians do not constitute a homogeneous population. compared to other european and Mediterranean populations, sardinians are distinguished by genetic characteristics , about 42% of the sardinians belong to Y-chromosome haplogroup I, which is otherwise frequently encountered only in scandinavia, northern germany and the dalmatia-bosnia-montenegro-serbia area. the subclade I-M26 of the haplogroup I is almost unique to the island, with small numbers of it being found among the population of basque country, castile, the department of béarn and brittany in france, england, sweden and corsica.

so italians are white caucasian whom could be white or white-tanned with black/red/blonde/brown hair and black/brown/grey/green/blue eyes.

Source(s): io sono italiano

Sicily has been inhabited by many different peoples through out the ages including Arabs at one point for 200 years which left quite a few influences just as Mia pointed out.

To answer your question Yes Mediterranean and Balkan Europeans are considered white but maybe not the same white as Northern Europeans. A typical description of these populations would be a person of dark hair and light skin. You do get a number of tanned individuals in these countries as well which might explain why some like to compare us with Arabs and Latinos in some cases but in the end of the day we are more closer to white.

The color of our skin isn't an important factor anyway buddy. All that silly talk just does my head in.

I am half Italian and half Sicilia, born in Sicily. we are considered white although my family in Sicily is very dark(considered black Italians over there). There is some truth sort of to the black thing for Sicilians, it is not actually black but North African. Sicily is like America in a way, as it is a mix of many different cultures, years ago that blendid into one culture. Greece, Egyptian, Moroccan(north African) Spain and various middle Eastern countries all settled there. Other than the climate, that is why their skin is darker. Sicily is very Arab influenced, in fact the sicilian language is mixed with Arabic and there are over forty mosques in Sicily. Although most Sicilians are Catholic they due borrow some habits from Islam because of the closeness. As far as my other half , father from Naples, they are white, light complexions many times blonde or red hair can be natural to mid and northern Italians. That part is also melded with other European countries, northern and Eastern. And Italian language is not the same as Spanish. It is similar but Italian is the closest language to Latin, therefore older than Spanish. As far as the flag the Italian flag was around much longer than the mexican flag. Hope that helped

Forgot to add this important detail. There are black Italians! In fact when I was younger Miss Italy was black. Because of the mix of many cultures(including African cultures) There are such thing as black Italians, but for the most part they are considered white.

According to DNA testing at least some indigenous Southern European groups have some indigenous middle eastern admixture,no offense

Whoever said Italians are in the same category as spics and *****rs deserves to be shot! Most Italians are light skinned. Sicilians typically have slightly darker complexions.

ehm people from italy are white but there are some immigrants from america or something who are black ( but NO WAY as many as in the Usa or in the Uk!!!)

lol people in northern italy are pale or very pale

i heard some people in southern italy and in the islands are tanned thats coz they're immigrants from greece or coz its often sunny there

Source(s): i live in the north of italy and people tell me i look like a zombie and a corpse coz i am pale =/

im not italian, but there are only 3 main races caucoid,*******,mongoloid. all western europeans (and russia) are caucoid, just different types of homo-sapiens. white skinned people are called genus species race: 'homo-sapiens caucoid occidentalis"

i live in germany but when my family goes to italy for december holidays, italians are white, not black. They have even paler skin than me.

Italians are of the caucasian race..mediterranean caucasian so yeah white though technically they don't really look white.

Source(s): My grandad was Italian

im pretty sure Italians are not black but they arent white either, they are Italian