how many volts in a power supply would i need to power a 1000 watt amp?

I want to put a 1000 watt amp in my room but i dont know what number of volts i need to power the amp. Somebody please tell me if you know. I think you can use a 12v because i saw a guy on youtube power 1800 watts.

5 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

volts is not what to be worrrying about. amps is the problem. say your amp has two thirty amp fuses which is what most 1000 watt amps have. that means at most it will draw 60 amps. so you need a power supply that will let out 60 amps at least probs better to get one that lets out more so it doesn;t work to hard. but it has to be between 12 - 15 like the other person said.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

To supply car audio equipment from normal 120VAC house current, your best bet is a variable power supply and set it to the highest voltage that your equipment supports. The specifications of many amps will show an operating voltage range. In the absense of such a specification, increase the voltage until the amp goes into protection and then reduce it slightly. More volts means the same number of watts at less current.

Here's one such power supply:

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partn...

Another solution would be a 12V sealed (gel cell perhaps) battery and a small charger that operates from 120VAC. This would probably be less expensive than a dedicated DC power supply. Make sure it's a sealed battery though. You do not want sulfuric acid or fumes all over your room.

• ?
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

To power a true 1000 watt rms amp would take over a 100 amperes. At full power. The big question is are you going to bring it to full power? Not likely, that would depend on the speaker load you intend to connect to it…. what amp do you have and what speakers do you have?

• 1 decade ago

think less about voltage and think more about current. when shopping for power supplies, they dont sell volts, they sell watts. watt = voltage x current. voltage is usually always 12v. therefore, 1000/12 = current you want as well as what the fuse you should be using is rated at.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

any thing over 12 but under 15 but u wont it to at least have 60 amps to so it wont cut on and off

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.