Why do i look so ugly in photographs but not in real life?

I'm not ugly in real life but all pics make me look hideous, People dont even think its me, I have a small nose but in pics i look like i have a big massive long one and my face isn't long but again i Look like i have a really od long distorted face ...its sooo weird my whole face looks disfigured, I showed a friend the pic on my blue badge and she said its weird and looks nothing like me, My mum used to hate my school photograph being taken because it never looked like me and made me look weird, in say 100 pics of me there would be only 3-4 that look like me? In the mirror i look ok and even if i take a pic looking in a mirror and then compare it they look nothing alike, I know some people can be unphotogenic but why? What make someone unphotogenic?

• SXE
    Favorite Answer

I think that your problem may stem from several issues. I don't really know the structure of your face, but if you have weird angles then you have to be careful of how the light hits your face because it can create weird shadows and such. About having a long face or big nose. Is your skin oily? Because if you don't use powder on your nose to reduce shine it will draw extra attention to that spot because it is shiny, making it seem bigger. Try using a little eye makeup to draw attention away from that area. The camera angle may be why your face looks extra long. Experiment taking picture of yourself from different angles and look at how it changes the shapes of your face. Ik how you feel. I just got offered an interview for a teen modeling agency. So I know I'm attractive at least. But when I see pics of myself... They don't always look like me. My friends notice it too. It's weird but eh. It happens. Gotta experiment until you can get it just right. :)

Source(s): Experience and knowledge? Haha. And science. I love science.

I have the exact same problem. I have been speculating that it is the knowledge we are getting our picture taken which causes us to appear unnatural. My mother is very photogenic and looks great in pictures, but unfortunately I haven't inherited that from her. She is very easygoing and carefree about life in general and perhaps that is why she can appear natural in photos. What's even stranger is that we appear fine in the mirror. I have taken pictures of myself looking at myself in the mirror by holding my camera towards me while looking at a mirror at the same time so that I can see the camera's view in the mirror too, resulting in decent pictures. We just have to take it easy, and reduce stress when posing for the camera, act natural and not smile too broadly or whatever is causing us not to appear photogenic. I still haven't found a solution which works every time, but when posing for the camera, I try not to look directly at the camera, and a little bit off to the side so that I can forget that I am posing and act natural. Hope this works for you!

Source(s): Shared experience.

well im not photogenic either its bcuz the curves and shadows of our faces get capture by the flash in the wrong way what u can do is practice taking photos in all kinds of poses and positions and always wear even face makeup when doing so that way ull find out what angles u will look good in

Source(s): personal experience

Because the flash brings out all your flaws.. taking a picture with flash inside your house is not good. Go outside and get a picture at the beach u will look alot better

I think people tense up when being photographed. It happens to me too. I usually look pissed or drunk.

My sisters neck looks huge in photos. I think also, people really do have a "good side" like movie stars talk about and if the photo is shot from your "bad side" it looks.....bad.

When you take your own photo in the mirror, you are in control of when to snap the photo so you automatically turn your head or lift your chin or what ever to the most appealing postition.

• Some things are just weird like that...

I know some gorgeous people who look terrible in photos, and equally some ugly people who come out great in photos. As long as your confident with yourself in person, I wouldn't worry. Its only a photo.

• Krissy

Think about it; are you posing for said pictures? It could be that when you know you're about you get your pic taken, you distort your image cuz you think it'll look better. (Especially with you past bad luck in photos)

Idk, I don't think I'm bad looking but I take TERRIBLE pics too.

Try having someone flash pix of you when you're not aware that they're doing it.

I betcha you'll like those more.

• Susan

photogenics. some people dont have it. i think i look weird sometimes in photos. and my friend looks hella pretty in pictures, better than in real life! she's not ugly but her pictures are cute

1

Source(s): Photography Lessons http://teres.info/ProPhotographyCourse/?p9eO

Same with me! You're just not photogenic. I'm sure you are pretty in real life, it's kinda the truth.. the camera adds on 10 pounds. (;

But yeah, don't flip out. Most people are like that.