Do Americans not understand how much money they'll save slowing down?

I think people in the USA have NO CLUE how much gas they are wasting by speeding. I was getting 26MPG drving 70-80mph, now I drive 58mph and get 37MPG. Im saving $1000 a year in gas on my 70 mile commute!! Why needs a hybrid? I drive a 200HP car and get 37mpg, the average civic automatic can get 45mpg if driven right.
Update: What really irks me is these speeders are CAUSING high gas prices, yet they don't realize it. Supply and demand. Here in MN gas prices dropped when people started driving less, but when that happened they just started driving more because gas was cheaper. Well, most of them
Update 2: Trucks benefit MOST from slowing down..try it! I get 26mpg when towing my 1000LB jet ski if that helps. Also-mister "valuable time" -you fail to add in the additional wear on your car - and I dont get paid when I'm home so that time means nothing to me. Arguing speeding is a time saver is foolish-look... show more Trucks benefit MOST from slowing down..try it! I get 26mpg when towing my 1000LB jet ski if that helps. Also-mister "valuable time" -you fail to add in the additional wear on your car - and I dont get paid when I'm home so that time means nothing to me. Arguing speeding is a time saver is foolish-look at your average speed. With traffic I found out agressive driving just causes accidents and doesnt save time at all. I love seeing someone risk life and limb (not just theirs) to race across lanes only to be right where I am because traffic stops. I'll take the REAL money in my pocket and you keep your valuable 10 minutes a day-