How do you know if you should become a Java programmer?

I have been studying Java for a year now and I am taking a class at a local community college. I can't figure out if I have a really bad teacher or if I am not "programmer" material. Can someone tell me the characteristics or skills you should have to become a programmer? I was really good at math,... show more I have been studying Java for a year now and I am taking a class at a local community college. I can't figure out if I have a really bad teacher or if I am not "programmer" material.

Can someone tell me the characteristics or skills you should have to become a programmer? I was really good at math, I'm analytical, etc. I graduated from college with a law major and I'm switching to programming. I've been a front-end developer for years, I want to go to back-end.

Graduate schools suggest that you take undergraduate courses before applying for a Masters in Computer Science. This is why I'm in the class.

If you know Java, can you tell me how long it took you to get good at it? Thanks :-)