Does India need a Uniform Civil Code?

While chatting with a Muslim fellow and asked what problems would he have if the UCC is implemented and his reply was " I DONT KNOW THE SPECIFICS BUT SINCE IT IS SOMETHING TO DO WITH BRINGING MUSLIMS UNDER INDIA'S CONTROL, I OPPOSE IT". The UCC will affect only personal laws based on religion -... show more While chatting with a Muslim fellow and asked what problems would he have if the UCC is implemented and his reply was " I DONT KNOW THE SPECIFICS BUT SINCE IT IS SOMETHING TO DO WITH BRINGING MUSLIMS UNDER INDIA'S CONTROL, I OPPOSE IT".

The UCC will affect only personal laws based on religion - those relating to marriage, divorce, adoption and inheritance. Criminal and civil laws are already common for all citizens.

In almost all recent cases where the need for a UCC has been emphasised women were at the receiving end of torture in the garb of religious immunity. Apart from the famous Shah Bano (1986) and Sarla Mudgal (1995) cases, there have been several other pleas by Hindu wives whose husbands converted to Islam only in order to get married again without divorcing the first wife.

As to the issue of a uniform civil code, if you see the question in a purely unemotional perspective, it is actually a very secular debate, there needn’t be any right-wing branding of it. A state would have a largely uniform civil code. It isn’t about encroaching on any section’s rights, if taken up without preconceived notions or hidden objectives.

Again, this issue has become largely untouchable for all other political parties because the BJP added it to the right-wing agenda, branded it (making it unfit for use by any "secular" party thereafter).

The matter is far more political than legal. Everytime the issue has come up there have been angry words from both sides of the debate. Politically, the BJP and some allied parties like the Shiv Sena and Jayalalitha's AIADMK. On the other side, parties like the Congress and Left Front that depend a great deal on the minority vote, are against it.

Politics apart, the case for a Uniform Civil Code - which will cover the entire gamut of laws governing rights relating to property, marriage, divorce, maintenance, adoption and inheritance - has been most argued on behalf of women. There is universal agreement that personal laws, regardless of the community, are skewed against women.

So if congress (Read Sonia Gandhi) led govt is so sincere to indroduce Women's rerservation bill in parliament, why it has maintained silence on Uniform Civil Code? Which in fact benefits women in many ways.
Update: If secularism means equality of all religions, why does the congress not want an Uniform Civil Code? Is it frightened of its vote base, traditionaly the
so called Minorities?

Shame on You! You Pseudo Secularists!, for having exploited an evil for
the sake of your survival.
15 answers 15