Kevin Smyth asked in SportsHockey · 1 decade ago

Which sport is more demanding: hockey or baseball?

Favorite Answer

It depends on what aspect you're looking at it from. Physically, hockey definitely. But the schedule of baseball teams and the fact that they play every day has to be tough. As far as speed goes, hockey wins. Emotionally, I think baseball wins that because they travel so far and are gone for long periods of time away from home and family, etc. But I think it all just depends on how you look at it.

I've played both sports competitively and I have to say hockey. Baseball is not easy, but hockey is much more physically demanding. Going out there and skating your hardest for 60 minutes is one of the hardest things I've ever had to do. I would run 3 miles every day and do a few hundred crunches, not to mention weight training, to get in shape for hockey. For baseball I had to work on technique and finesse more, rather than physical conditioning. I was a pitcher so I had probably the most demanding position in baseball (other than catching of course), though I did need to work on my arm strength before the season started each year.

• CM

Speed: Hockey

Physically: Hockey

Mentally: Baseball

Strength: Hockey

Looks like hockey is more demanding

• Joan

Physically demanding - Hockey obviously. Mentally Demanding - Baseball Try playing 162 games in 180 some days. It's not easy pulling yourself out of a 1-30 slump trying to hit major league pitching. That's why so many young players spend so long in the minors.

Average hockey player:

6'2'' 205 lbs

Average baseball player:

5'8'' 300 lbs

'Nuff said

EDIT:

Sure you play double the games but the ball comes to you once every 50 pitches (unless your the pitcher/catcher/1st baseman). In hockey you get the puck every shift. You continually skate, you dont stand in the outfield picking daisies waiting for the ball to be hit your way.

The ONE, these arent real average heights and weights. Im just pointing out (through extremes and sarcasm) that a lot of baseball players are overweight/out of shape.

Your asking this question on a hockey section, of course they'll answer hockey. But I bet base-ball fans have something to say about that. Everyone has their opinion but I'll go with base-ball because of their schedule and more levels to the game. Although hockey your always moving, your only doing it for like 1 minute or so than heading to the bench. Base-ball you play full 9 innings with the heavier schedule.

Hockey, my reasons:

-Physical contract wheres out body

-You do something instead of stand there for 2 hours

-You are skating hard each shift, baseball you sit in the dugout

-Hockey there is no drugs, so you have to work out

Hockey... most of the time in baseball you dont have to move. thatd be kinda tight if baseball was played on ice.

Demanding how? Physically? than hockey by far.

Probably baseball. You have to play twice as many games, the minor league system is a lot more complicated - there are six minor league levels before the big leagues:

AAA,

AA,

Advanced A,

A,

Short A,

Rookie.

Also, you need to me much sharper mentally and maintain focus despite the slow pace of the game.