Questions about Mexico City?

How expensive is Mexico City? Crime rate? Areas? Climate?

Favorite Answer

It's pricey in comparison to most of Mexico, but compared to Paris, Madrid, Rome, NYC, Chicago, London, etc it is very accesible for dining, and partying about town. There are some places that are incredibly expensive by any standards, but in general it is a cheaper place to have a good time than most megacities. Now if you are talking about real estate that's another matter.

Crime rate - Mexico City is one of the safest places in the country. Thwere are parts of town that you should avoid for your safety and life. There are places where you can be mugged. You can have your pocket picked or purse snatched practically anywhere. But except for the areas that locals know to avoid I feel very comfortable walking at night with my wife in the parts of the city that we frequent.

rather than areas to avoid let me say where the safer areas are. 1) Historic downtown from the Zócalo plaza west to the Alameda Park. Stray one block north, south or west or the National Palace on the east side of the Zócalo and you could have problems.

2) Colonias Roma and Condesa. Just stick to the lighted areas

3) Polanco - the trendiest and priciest area to hang out. Just use common sense

4) Coyoacán. Stay in well lighted areas at night.

5) Lomas de Chapultepec, Bosque de las Lomas, Pedregal de San Angel - the ultra wealthy neighborhoods. Drive through by day and ogle, lol.

The climate in Mexico City is temperate year round. The warmest months are March - mid May and late October - mid November. From late May - mid October it rains every day and the rains are heavier from August until the end of rainy season. It can get cool enough at night to need a light jacket or sweater. If you have to be outside always have an umbrella in the summer. In winter incan get below freezing at night, but just barely. Houses are usually not heated (except by space heater) and buildings are not insulated so sweaters and medium jackets could be needed in winter.

My personal favorite time of year in Mexico City is March and April when the jacaranda trees, a kind of locust tree, are blooming.

Source(s): I live near Mexico City and work and play there.

It depends the hotel and food that you want

About crime, well personally I was never robed

Areas: Coyoacan, San Angel, Polanco, Xochimilco, Chapultepec, La Condesa, etc.. there's also many museums

Weather between 15 and 29 degrees