Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Entertainment & MusicCelebrities · 1 decade ago

Why is it that some people have to call others "gay" just because they don't like them or...?

Are trying to piss off a fan of that person? Do you guys really even know what "gay" means? Because I seem to be getting the idea that a lot of people think it means "stupid". There are a few different meanings but none of them associate with "stupid"

Gay: Someone who practices homosexuality; having a sexual attraction to persons of the same sex

Gay: Happy <--- That's definitely NOT what people are reaching for, though.

It pisses me off when I see people go around saying "Justin Bieber is gay" or "The Jonas Brothers are gay", etc. and people have even come on my formspring saying "Brandon Flowers, Damon Albarn, The Killers, you is/are gay" just to get back at me for having a different opinion than them in this section and I'm sure a lot of them are Michael Jackson fans since I seem to piss them off the most but maybe some of them are Justin Bieber fans? They usually include Michael Jackson in the statement so I guess that's that. I have NEVER called Justin Bieber, Michael Jackson, Jonas Brothers, Twilight actors, etc. gay simply because I don't like them. And I don't even call someone gay even if they really are gay. How would you feel if you were gay/lesbian/bi and someone called you gay or you saw someone call someone else gay just because they don't like them? What if you were in the same room with someone who's gay and you didn't even know it and made some comment like "that guy is so gay."? How do you think that makes them feel? And I've even corrected people for saying it and then go off saying "well, if someone is truly gay, they shouldn't care." And you know what? They do care. I've talked to a few people who are gay and they do care. It's extremely immature and ignorant to attack someone's sexuality and I'm sure it feels like being stabbed when gay people get the hate for being who they are. Celebrity section is full of immature people. I'll admit I can be immature sometimes but that's just because I like to mess with you. Anyone who takes me seriously really needs to see that I am not serious 90% of the time.

And I am not trying to rant, I'm just trying to make people see what they're doing.

Thoughts?

If you don't care to read it than get the fück out!

Then*

Then*

And to all the people giving TDs for the people who actually read this and agreed, you're even more immature than the people being discussed.

Favorite Answer

Hi Katie. Tough day I see. lol I saw what someone said to you on that question Michael asked and I was like "What the hell?" It was so stupid.

It's IMMATURITY. I'm simply going to say this: Some people on here are very immature and disrespectful. It used to make me sad seeing what this generation has become and what the future holds. I know that most of the people on here saying so and so are gay are 15 and below and if they are older, then they should take their behavior into consideration. You aren't going to be taken seriously in the really world if you can't accept others opinions.

I feel the same way about the word "retarded". You shouldn't just throw that world about like it's nothing. It stand for something. I've been called retarded for simply saying that I don't find Justin Bieber attractive because he's younger than me. Like seriously WTH?

Well, it's sadly a very common thing for people to say. At school, it's probably the #1 insult. I usually will say something like "Gay doesn't mean stupid" or something, but that doesn't stop anyone...

Most of the people saying it just don't have a better insult. It's f*cking sad too, because when I hear it being used, I think of the people who are actually LGBT and hear the way they love people being used as an insult, and that therefor they should be ashamed about it, which isn't true AT ALL.

I;m not sure if you were aware, but a few weeks ago was the Day of Silence, and I have a friend who is bisexual. Well she got sh*t in class about how it was "disgusting" to be gay and she went through some bad stuff. It's really awful what some people have to go through, and NOBODY deserves that.

"Gay" is not only the most childish and idiotic 'insult' ever, it also shows what kind of person someone is, because it proves that they either...

A. Are too stupid to actually tell someone what they're doing that pisses them off

B. Are too ignorant to realize it hurts people when they use gay as an insult

C. Are such a sheep that they'll just say what people around them are saying

or D. All of the f*cking above.

So to anyone who uses derogatory slurs to insult someone...F u c k off, I don't want to see it. Don't count on getting any respect from me. And I hope the next time you use them, you'll think of how *you* would feel if some ***** used them to insult you!

I know what you mean and I completely agree. I remember being about nine years old and everyone used to use 'gay' as offensive. It's so cruel and immature. The kind of thing that makes you think twice about certain people. Sometimes I wonder if this place is just a bunch of pre-teens making crappy lame jokes for 'lolz'. Anywho, it's about time it changed so pay attention you little dweebs! Oh and please do tell me who called brandon flowers gay, their life will soon be over!

I absolutely agree with you. People are so ignorant, and don't understand that "gay" is an identification for people. It's very offensive, and people shouldn't throw it around like that.

It's so true. I know people who are gay, that are truly offended by that. And although I'm not gay, I think it's totally wrong to use that statement to describe something with a negative connotation, because it truly hurts that group of people.

Nice rant, btw :)

I agree but you also have to understand that people who use 'gay' as an insult don't have the largest or the most profound vocabulary in the world. They'd hurt themselves trying to think of something different, possibly even develop a permanent stutter.

I understand. Gay is a stupid word when people use it like that. My cousins are always going around telling people they're gay and it shows that they don't have a brain. BTW Justin Bieber is not gay, he's amazing. And i agree that even though i don't like the Jonas Brothers a lot I'm not going to call them gay because they're not gay! I AM one of those people who looks at a guy and whispers to my friend, "that guy is so gay" I'm sorry to say it but gays and lesbians are gross. And people out there like Lady Gaga who are homosexual are disgusting and need to get a life. This was not what God wanted. Please quit thinking your main perpose in life is to show the world that being gay/les/bi is normal cause it's not. Sorry but it's all true :)

Quit pretending to be oppressed and grow up. Do you honestly believe people care about whether or not someone homosexual? Like there are not more pressing matters to tend to then making sure people who like others of the same sex feel alienated. Its my impression that the people who are always jumping on the web ranting about this kind of **** are just trying to make themselves feel special, different, unique. Its truly a shame that those who proclaim themselves representatives of vast mass of people whom only have one insignificant similarity seek to be treated in-equal. If you still don't understand you seriously need to take a step back and look at the entire situation. A small group of immature people have tricked a considerable portion of people whom share only one common interest into alienating themselves from the general populations in an effort to be excepted. Its not only idiotic, its delusional. These people don't want to be equal, they want to be special and they want to force the general public to accept them, preferably against their will. (referring to those whom believe gays to be any more different then people with brown hair or blue eyes). It is certainly possible to find those who will denounce equal treatment, but it is equally possible to find those who believe the world to be flat.

There is always the touchy issue of churches not allowing gays to get married. Its a religion, and if the specified priest or equivalent believes that marrying them is a violation of their individual beliefs, then it would be wrong to force them. Even if they are wrong, two wrongs don't make a right, plus, would you really want a priest whom does not believe in your marriage to be uniting you with your partner? If so you're deeply troubled and should seek professional treatment for sadism.

i agree. although i thought it was really hillarious how you admited that you just like to mess with the celebrity section!! hahaha....anyway, back on a serious note: i've known some gay guys too, and they really do get offended.

way to make a stand.

This is the question I've been trying to post for MONTHS but it's always been deleted!!

I absolutely agree with you. It's so ignorant to use gay as some sort of adjective.. It makes no sense!

When I call people out on it they just say "oh but I accept gay marriage" and assume that it's okay. People use gay in a way that makes it seem bad.

I'm going to star this for ya. I really wish this would stop.

because it is generally treated like an oddity or even a sin to be gay, so to call something gay, it is not only seen as an insult, but it also is a source of irony in that it takes one to know one.