Does anybody know how good are AR-15 with 5.45x39 caliber? Any experience with them?

Advantages, cheap ammo, are they reliable? Need info please.

Thanks

Favorite Answer

Advantages are you get cheap ammo, that's about it. It performs similarly to 5.56mm but doesn't pack quite as much energy, it also produces even less recoil.

I take it you're talking about S&W's 5.45mm M&P-15, if so you're getting a very high quality and reliable gun.

Google some reviews for yourself or ask around and local stores. People I actually know like the rifle, online reviews seem to be overall positive. See for yourself and form your own opinion.

@Uckfay Ooyay: I know multiple people with S&W's 5.45mm AR and haven't heard anything bad about them so far. I'd rather go off what I can verify than internet reports, sorry.

I searched Google for reviews and all 5 on the front page were positive. Where are you getting the idea it's inaccurate and unreliable? The ONLY issues I saw were issues with fully-loaded 30 round magazines. That's all. Load 'em to 25 and it'll function fine. No FTF or FTE issues, no accuracy issues, nothing.

And again, people I know who OWN them like them. I'm gonna take what they say over stuff on the internet.

• Carole

A .223 in an AR will not have much recoil. My 8 year old nephew doesn't have any problem with the recoil. You can get a Ruger 10/22 if you want a .22 lr. Academy has import ammo for $4.99/20 where I live. One problem with most of the cheaper .22 lr that look like an AR-15 is that they are not true AR-15s and you can't later get a .223 upper and put it on the lower.

Never used one. So I really can't say anything on it. There is no such thing as an inaccurate caliber, just the guns. It's much cheaper than 5.56 but not made domestically. The ballisitcs are similar but not the same. Since the ammo is not American but usually russian or old surplus there would be extra cleaning steps involved and you may be more prone to jams due to the quality of the ammo and the AR's arleady tight construction.

• iv never fired one but from what iv heard from people that have well the said its just not a good caliber for the AR mostly reliability issues but some people say that they have had them work fine

A simple google search would have answered this question with countless forum examples of feeding issues, FTF's, FTE's, jamming, inaccuracy.

Source(s): GOOGLE is your friend. Jon how about you actually read some reviews about that caliber in an AR before you tell people lies about it. It SUCKS. Well Jon I guess your google is set to "show me what I want to see instead of what's true" mode, I just did a google search and came up with over a dozen hits on reliability issues with AR's in 5.45 caliber. Especially 30 round magazine issues. Defense Review, the high road, shooters, many many more.