My microsoft word 2003 spell check isn't working?

When you type and make a spelling mistake, it doesn't catch it. Then, if you go to tools and click "spelling and grammar" it still doesn't catch it, even if I know I made a mistake. I went to options and the little box where it says "check spelling as I type" is checked in. Does anyone... show more When you type and make a spelling mistake, it doesn't catch it. Then, if you go to tools and click "spelling and grammar" it still doesn't catch it, even if I know I made a mistake. I went to options and the little box where it says "check spelling as I type" is checked in. Does anyone know what I should do to fix the problem? (Without uninstalling and reinstalling).
Update: When you type and make a spelling mistake, it doesn't catch it. Then, if you go to tools and click "spelling and grammar" it still doesn't catch it, even if I know I made a mistake. I went to options and the little box where it says "check spelling as I type" is checked in. Does anyone... show more When you type and make a spelling mistake, it doesn't catch it. Then, if you go to tools and click "spelling and grammar" it still doesn't catch it, even if I know I made a mistake. I went to options and the little box where it says "check spelling as I type" is checked in. Does anyone know what I should do to fix the problem? (Without uninstalling and reinstalling).
And for the smart-mouth who mentioned dictionaries: Yes, I know I could use a dictionary, I simply choose not to. It is faster to use spell check, because sometimes I make spelling mistakes and sometimes I make typos, and microsoft word catches both. Thank you for your insight.