Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingBaby Names · 10 years ago

Brutally honest opinions on our name list [+BQ's]?

My fiance and I are expecting and won't know the sex of the baby for a while. We have our lists, but it's really been difficult to narrow our favorites down, and even though we still have a very long time left before deciding on the name becomes absolutely crucial, we'd like to really determine the names we totally love.

We're using two middles as we want to carry on a family tradition a few generations back on my fiance's side.

So be honest, as brutal as you want to be, and please give explanations for your opinion.

Leo Sebastian Felix

Charles Oliver Felix (Charlie)

Jasper Dominic Theo

Oliver Augustus Poe

Violet Helena Esme

Alice Matilda Piper

Eloise Penelope June (Lola)

Elodie Beatrice Pearl (Didi)

Nora Clementine Ruby

Leo is our top choice for boy's, but we really love all the girl names equally, so it'd be great if you could help us narrow them down.

BQ 1: As you can see, we like very British, LONG (three-syllable), and quirky names for the FIRST middle name. Can you suggest some others like those? At least five, please.

BQ 2: As you can see, we like very British, SHORT (one-to-two syllables), and quirky names for the SECOND middle name. Can you suggest some others like those? At least five, please.

BQ 3: Our boy list is very sparse. Could you suggest some boy names based on our other choices?

Many thanks!

• #@%
    Best Answer

Love how you're using two middle names!

Leo Sebastian Felix ~ 10 / 10. I adore Leo. I believe it's better as a stand-alone name as opposed to being a nickname for Leonardo / Leonard. It's old-fashioned and timeless, while still maintaining a modern edge which makes it a favorite among people of all ages / name tastes. Sebastian is great. It's been a steady favorite of mine for a while and is on my name list paired with Tadhg. Felix wouldn't be my first choice as a first name, but as a middle, I actually love it. It works wonderfully with Leo and Sebastian.

Charles Oliver Felix (Charlie) ~ 10 / 10. Charles is such a handsome name. It has been extremely popular in the past, but since then it's definitely lowered on the charts. I'm a huge fan of the nickname Charlie. It is just too cute. This name is very flexible in the sense that it is capable of perfectly suiting a boy (Charlie) just as easily as it fits an adult (Charles). Oliver is another great name. It’s very English sounding and sophisticated, but not too sophisticated. Once again, love Felix in the second middle name slot. All of these names work well with each other.

Jasper Dominic Theo ~ 7 / 10. I’ve never loved the name Jasper, and I started to become even less fond of it after this whole Twilight fad. I began seeing it everywhere and just got exhausted of it. It’s not terrible and I guess I see the appeal, but it just isn’t for me. Dominic is a strong, Latin name that I absolutely love. You can’t go wrong with it and it has the possibility to be becoming as a first name or a middle name. Theo’s a nice addition to this name because it gives it a gentle, traditional feel. Overall, the flow of this combo isn’t perfect, which is why it got a semi-low rating.

Oliver Augustus Poe ~ 8 / 10. Like I said above in one of your other pairings, I’m a very big fan of Oliver. It’s a winner of a name, in my opinion. Augustus strikes me as very regal sounding, and the kind of name a person of authority might have. I prefer the toned down version of August, just because I feel it might better suit a young boy. Poe sparks my interest quite a bit. I’ve never paid much attention to it before but it’s alluring. I like the simplicity of it, yet it’s poetic and almost unheard of. This combination flows wonderfully.

Violet Helena Esme ~ 9 / 10. Violet I would certainly consider one of the more elegant and sophisticated of the flower / color names. It’s extremely beautiful, yet terribly underused. I’m surprised it’s not more popular than it currently is. Nonetheless, it’s a wonderful name. Helena’s beautiful, as is Esme, and all three names flatter one another marvelously which makes for a truly great combination.

Alice Matilda Piper ~ 10 / 10. Alice is a classic name that’s both strong and sweet, but what I love about it is its ability to give a name combination femininity /and/ strength, without overpowering it. Love, love, love this name. Matilda’s sweet and has a kind nature about it, so it compliments Alice. Piper is on my list as a guilty pleasure so that would refrain me from using it as a first name, but as a middle name it’s admirably charming. It flows great with Alice and Matilda, so my fondness for this combo is huge.

Eloise Penelope June (Lola) ~ 10 / 10. I really like the strength Eloise emits for me, because I have some great associations with it. I know a woman with this name who is just too strong and too taking for words (cancer survivor, one of my biggest role models). The name’s beautiful on its own as well, and the nickname of Lola is quite clever. I never would have thought of that, but I love it. Penelope’s nice, and has been on my main name list for the longest time. June further compliments this name combo.

Elodie Beatrice Pearl (Didi) ~ 6 / 10. In my opinion, Elodie is so much more charming and refreshing than Melody, which I’ve never been able to more than somewhat like. Didi wouldn’t be my preferred nickname choice, but it’s nice. Beatrice seems a bit bland to me, and I much prefer Beatrix which is a little twist on the name. I’ve detested the name Pearl ever since I met a girl with this name who was far less than pleasant. It’s pretty much the only name on your list that I actually don’t like. Despite the contrary, it flows fantastically with Elodie and Beatrice.

Nora Clementine Ruby ~ 9 / 10. Nora’s cute as both a name on its own and as a nickname for Eleanor / Eleanora. It’s one of those names that I think would be able to fit a girl of any age, style, personality, physical appearance, etc. It’s timeless without being dated, which is one of the big reason I find it nice. Clementine’s alright, not a favorite, but I see the appeal. Ruby’s more than lovely, and sounds perfect with the other two names.

Boys ~

Benedict

Julius

Leander

Cassius

Benjamin

Atticus

Thaddeus

Theodore

Dorian

Amadeus

Nathaniel

Elliot

Everett

Simeon

Harrison

Girls ~

Amelia

Cordelia

Guinevere

Fiona

Adelaide

Eleanor

Camilla

Teresa

Viola

Antonia

Lucia

Juliet

Heloise

Rosamund

Estella

Imogen

Francesca

Odessa

Jacqueline

Boys ~

Henry

Jack

Miles

Troy

Jude

Ellis

Simon

Louis

Eli

Luke

Isaac

Liam

Levi

Girls ~

Olive

May

Joy

Harper

Ivy

Laurel

Audrey

Iris

Clara

Dawn

Cora

Fay / Faye

Fern

Vera

Eve

Anthony

Rowan

Roman

Henry

Finlay

Adrian

Gabriel

Vincent

Kenneth

Elias

Lucas

Pierce

Leon

Mitchell

Klaus

Graham

Calvin

Edmund

BOYS:

Leo Sebastian Felix -- 8/10 -- Although I'm not a personal fan of Leo, I think Sebastian & Felix are awesome! However, these three names work very well together; this is def my favorite from the boys names you've listed!

Charles Oliver Felix -- 7/10 -- Very traditional name, lol. I like it, just not as much as the first one. I think my least favorite name in this combo is Oliver.

Jasper Dominic Theo -- 4/10 -- I like Dominic, but don't personnaly care for the other two. Personal feelings aside, I just don't think these names "go together".

Oliver Augustus Poe -- 3/10 -- My least favorite on here for boys names. I think something similar that sounds better would be Oliver Austin Poe. The Augustus is just too odd, to me.

GIRLS:

Violet Helena Esme -- 4/10 -- The Esme just threw me off here. Violet is very pretty! And Helena, it's just another name, to me.

Alice Matilda Piper -- 5/10 -- Personally, Alice Madeline Piper sounds better, and is similar-sounding. Matilda reminds me of the children's movie by that name. Alice is okay; Piper is cute!

Eloise Penelope June -- 7/10 -- Love Eloise! So pretty. Though I don't personally care for Penelope, the names do sound good together, IMO.

Elodie Beatrice Pearl -- 6/10 -- Don't care for the first name, but I really like Beatrice!

Nora Clementine Ruby -- 5/10 -- The three together don't seem to mesh well; plus, Clementine is almost over-the-top compared to the names surrounding it.

[a couple of these are 4-syllable; also, I'm not sure how "British" some of these are]

BOYS:

Alexander

Christopher

Timothy

Jamison

Remington

Nicholas

Reginald

Bartholomew

Benjamin

Harrison

Ulysses

Zachary

GIRLS:

Annabelle

Christina

Genevieve

Imogene

Valerie

Vivianne

Elizabeth

Evalyn

Patricia

Amelia

Samantha

BOYS:

Blaine

Chase

Reid

Noble

Owen

Otis

Willis

GIRLS:

Paige

Grace

Opal

Wren

Gwen

Tamar

Hope

Rayne

Jane

I think Leo Sebastian Felix is cute from your choices!

Hope this helps :-)

I think all of those names have an exceptionally good flow and are overall great, timeless names. I actually love them all! (Sorry, not very constructive criticism...) However, I do like some a bit more than others. For a boy, my favorites are Leo Sebastian Felix and Charles Oliver Felix. I like Oliver Augustus Poe the least because I've never liked the name Oliver as a first name much (it's the Liver part in there that's bugging me.) And I'm just not sure on Poe as a given name, but as it is only the second middle name, I guess it isn't of that much importance. (Although I do love Poe's poetry.)

For a girl I like Alice Matilda Piper and Nora Clementine Ruby very much. Alice Matilda Piper seems to be the strongest and somehow... freshest name on your list. I just imagine a bubbly, laughing girl when I hear it, someone who will sweep you off your feet. It's just a feeling I get from this name that's hard to describe. Nora Clementine Ruby I like because Nora is one of my personal favorites, and Clementine is such an uncommon and lovely name. Elodie and Eloise just don't do it for me. They sound a bit boring to me. Especially Elodie. It's a beautiful name, but somehow I always forget about it. It's not something that would stick in my head. And I think the nickname Didi is a bit too cutesy.

BQ 1: You didn't specify if girl or boy names, so I'm gonna do both :)

Lillian

Isadora

Persephone

Cassandra

Miriam

Samantha

Marion

Georgiana

Aurora

Lucinda

Lydia

Charlotte

Millicent

Lavinia

Rosalind

Rowena

Leonora

Felicity

Christian/Christopher

Phineas

Adrian

Anthony

Theodore

Jonathan

Benjamin

Frederick

Tobias

Leander

Evander

Elias

Timothy

Alexander

Gideon

Nathaniel

BQ 2:

Lily

Rose

Hope

Ellen

Iris

Cate

Ruth

Chloe

Anna

Opal

Paige

Molly

Ivy

Holly

Lucy

Nina

Vera

Ada

Belle

Daphne

Stella

Grant

Ian

Leon

Jack

Troy

Finn

Joel

Jay

Liam

Yule

Harry

Neil

Ned

Owen

Hugh

Keith

Jude

Louis

Levi

BQ 3:

Elijah

Cedric

Robert

Dean

Seth

Jackson

Jeremy

Maxwell

Brody

Simon

Joshua

Stefan

Oscar

Heath

Micah

Graham

Damon

Carlisle

Samson

Samuel

Elliott

(plus see in other BQs)

• Congratulations, and I love the names you're considering!

My favorite on the boys' list is Leo Sebastian Felix, followed by Charles Oliver Felix. Jasper Dominic is a nice combo (though I prefer both Leo and Charles to Jasper). I don't think Theo sounds very good as a second middle here -- it's a little too nicknamey. As for Oliver Augustus Poe, I love Oliver, but I think the combination of Oliver and Augustus is just a bit too much somehow -- makes me think of Oliver Twiss and Augustus Gloop -- it's a bit storybookish. I'm intrigued by Poe as a middle name, though.

On the girls' list, I adore Elodie Beatrice Pearl (absolutely perfect flow to this name) and Nora Clementine Ruby. You really don't have a bad name on this list, though. Violet and Helena are both personal favorites, and while I'm not as wowed by the flow of Violet Helena Esme, it does work. Alice Matilda Piper is pretty... I'm not 100% sure I like Piper as the second middle, but Alice Matilda is lovely. And Eloise Penelope June is so deliciously vintage. All of the girls' first names except Alice have been on my own favorites list at some point. I don't think you could go wrong with any of these.

BQ1: Some other long quirky middle names for boys:

Julius (my son's first name)

Dorian

Elias

Theodore

Elliot

Alistair/Alasdair

Demetrius/Demetri

Tobias

Gideon

Atticus

Simeon

Thaddeus

And for girls:

Isabeau

Rosamund

Rosalind

Juliet

Josephine

Eleanor

Louisa

Caroline

Eliza

Corinna

Cordelia

Cecily

Cecilia

Gwendolen

Marigold

Marian

Sylvia

BQ2: Some other short quirky names for boys:

August (love Leo Sebastian August)

Bennett

Oscar

Paul

Miles

Gilbert

Piers

Jude

Calvin

Graham

Silas

Arthur

Quentin

Desmond

Leland

Malcolm

Simon

Abram

Dexter

Rex

And for girls:

Faye

Jane

Ivy

Charlotte

Violet

Adele

Camille

Daisy

Hazel

Opal

BQ3: The boys' names from the lists above that I think might particularly appeal to you as first names: Elliot, Abram, Desmond, Quentin, Miles, Simon, Calvin, Alasdair, Elias

Quentin Alasdair Jude is a good combo that comes to mind.

• Leo Sebastian Felix- 8/10 Like all three names but not sure it flows right

Charles Oliver Felix (Charlie)- 6/10 this really doesn't flow, but all three names are okay

Jasper Dominic Theo 7/10- cute

Oliver Augustus Poe- 7/10 interesting name.

Violet Helena Esme 7/10 love all three names but the rythym seems off

Alice Matilda Piper 6/10 not super big on piper

Eloise Penelope June (Lola) 8/10 very cute and especially love the nickname :)

Elodie Beatrice Pearl (Didi) 7/10 not fond of Pearl and I like Elodie but I dont think it works here

Nora Clementine Ruby 2/10 sorry I hate the names nora and clementine

BQ1&2- Dashiel Archibald Rhys (Dash)

Alfred Sullivan Tate (Freddie)

Basil Julian Nash (Baz)

Ezra Tobias Jude

Beau Sylvester Miles

Gloriana Mirabel Elise (Glory)

Felicity Susanna Blythe

Eleanor Olivia Ruby

Edith Amelia Ruth (edie)

Cecilia Adelaide Ivy

BQ3-Noah

Mathias

Gerard

Curtis

Lance

Gilbert

Finn

Harrison (Harry)

Wesley

Leo Sebastian Felix--- 9/10. It flows well, and the only thing I can think of to discredit is that Leo is short for a name, but it would interrupt the flow to name him Leon/Leopold/Leonard I think.

Charles Oliver Felix (Charlie)--- 6.5/10. Still very nice name, but I prefer more quirky first name than Charlie/Charles, e.g. like Felix Oliver Charles or another.

Jasper Dominic Theo --- 9/10. I really love all the names here, but think it might flow better as Jasper Theo Dominic or Dominic Jasper Theo. etc.

Oliver Augustus Poe --- 10/10. I love it! Hmm, love the novelty of having Poe as the second middle, it and Augustus are on my own list actually.

Violet Helena Esme --- 7/10. Like Helena + Esme for names, don't hate Violet but don't love it either, it's just the flow seems off here, to my ear. Course it might hinge on how you pronounce Helena/Esme coz for both names there are two ways to say it, in the latter usually depends on placement of the accent mark.

Alice Matilda Piper --- 10/10. I love it. Whimsical but still adult for her when she's grown up.

Eloise Penelope June (Lola) --- 9/10. I don't love Eloise, I think it's the nickname that sold me tthough. I like Lola.

Elodie Beatrice Pearl (Didi) --- 9/10. Again like middle names a lot, don't love the first name so the nickname helps.

Nora Clementine Ruby --- 9.5/10. Not fond of Nora but works nicely here.

I really like your list, so refreshing not to see the same names like Sophia and Addison [usually on girls *sighhhhhhh*].

You wanted narrowed down girl list. So if I picked top 3, it would be:

1. Alice Matilda Piper.

2. Nora Clementine Ruby.

3. Eloise Penelope June.

BQ1: Clemence, Astoria, Reginald, Terrence, Elspeth, Emmeline, Rochester, Paravel, Tennyson. Sorry not much help with the boys, lol, I prefer more compact names or the long ones I have on there are from non-Brit cultures/Shakespeare plays, e.g. Bassianus + Abraxas.

BQ2: Harper, Edgar, Draven, Silas, Ashley [for boy], Ashby [boy], Asher [boy], Tamora, Alaric, Cedric, Gerard, March, August.

BQ3: Cassius, Thane, Beau, Dante, Dmitri, Brent, Carlisle, Severus, Kent, Alfred, Garrett.

First off, I love your naming style! :D

Leo Sebastian Felix: This is probably my favorite of your boys choices. I'm in love with Leo and Felix, but I'm not a huge fan of Sebastian (makes me think of The Little Mermaid haha)

Charles Oliver Felix (Charlie): This is adorable. All three names are great, and sound wonderful together. However, I like Leo just a bit more than Charlie.

Jasper Dominic Theo: Probably my least favorite of the four. Jasper makes me think of both Twilight and Casper the friendly ghost (not that being friendly is a terrible association). Dominic is alright, but I can't stand Theo, for reasons unknown.

Oliver Augustus Poe: This is really nice. I like Oliver, and while I prefer August to Augustus, in this case, Augustus works better. And Poe is a great, different choice.

Violet Helena Esme: I love Violet, and Helena is cute, but I have a bad personal association with the name Esme, although that doesn't affect you at all. :)

Alice Matilda Piper: Alice is nice, and I love Matilda. Piper is also cute, but it seems kind of different from the style of all the other names. But who said names had to match anyway?

Eloise Penelope June (Lola): LOVE this. Actually, I'm mostly in love with Eloise, and Lola is a fantastic nickname for it! I'm not the biggest fan of Penelope, but I love June. This is my favorite of the girls.

Elodie Beatrice Pearl (Didi): Ehh, I'm iffy about this one. Elodie is cute, but I don't like Didi. Beatrice is alright, but I can't stand Pearl. Makes me think of the whale in Spongebob (can you tell I'm a teenager yet? Hah.)

Nora Clementine Ruby: This is awesome. Nora is super adorable, and Clementine (both pronunciations) is precious. Ruby's not my favorite, but it's growing on me.

BQ1: Julian, Julius, Alexander, Sylvester, Atticus, Aurelia, Olivia, Amelia, Veronica, Valentine/a, Cordelia, Eleanor, Cecilia

BQ2: Henry, Magnus, Claude, Crispin, Quentin, Curtis, Simon, Lucy, Audrey, Anna

BQ3: Hmm..well I used a lot of these in the last two questions. :D But, here's some more that I like: Vincent, Cornelius, Ignatius, Nathaniel, Dexter, Miles, Cecil, Francis, Calvin, Graham, Bruno, Harrison, Louis, and Linus.

• Sandra

I absolutely love Owen James! My fiance and I have Owen on our list! It'll be Owen Tyler though! I absolutely love Lilian and was going to use it but it didn't sound right with my daughters first name so we decided on just Lily which I couldn't be happier because everyone compliments on her name, anyway, I on the other hand DO NOT like Juliet at all! There is nothing cute about it to me. I've never liked it, never will. With such a beautiful first name (Lilian) why not use a just as beautiful middle name? BQ: Owen: - Keep the middle name James. If I had to pick a different one, it would be Michael because it's the only other name on the list I can remotely stand. Lilian: - Absolutely would go with Claire being my first choice and if not that then definitely Elizabeth or Emily! I don't care for Alice or Frances at all... too old and unappealing to me. RATE: Owen James: 10/10 Lilian Juliet: 5/10 <--- only because of the middle name choice.

• Clary

I really love all of them, so it would be kind of pointless for me to comment on each one saying "I love it!" Haha, so I'm just going to say my favorites are Jasper Dominic Theo, Leo Sebastian Felix, Nora Clementine Ruby, and Eloise Penelope June.

BQ 1:

Alistair

Elliott

Maximilian

Emeric

Alexander

Genevieve

Lillian

Madeleine

Emmeline

Evangeline

Annabelle

BQ 2:

Cole

Henry

Heath

Jay

Troy

Lily

Iris

Ivy

Jane

Belle

Lucy

BQ 3:

Dorian

Lawrence

Victor

Samuel

Dexter

Leo Sebastian is awesome but Felix doesn't really fit. Leo Sebastian Charles flows better.

I'm not crazy about the girl combinations. If I can mix them up, I think they sound better...

Alice Helena Pearl

Nora Beatrice Piper

Elodie Matilda Pearl

I love your names.

But I would change some of them too:

Leo Augustine Lyle

Charles Osborn Vern

Jonah Dorian Philo

Orson Wilder Gene

Violetta Helena June (VEE-oh-lett-ah)

Alice Matilda Rye

Eloise Aurelia Fay

Ellalie Beatrix Pearl (Ell-AHL-lee)

Norah Clementine Jane

I love your names though. Really, they're great.

What about these combos:

Leo Augustine Saul

Leo Archibald Penn

Charles Dashiell Hugh

Charles Sieler Lorne

Alice Aurelia Athalie

Alice Marianna Rue

Eloise Natalia Grey

Eloise Beulah June

Norah Madeline Jane

Norah Estella Mollie

Also:

Georgia

Daisy

Frances

Eleanor

Florence

Lucille

Magdalene

Ada

And just because you're super cool names reflect the kind of person you are I think you should have my favorite baby name, Genevieve "Jennie".

Walter

Milo

August

Inigo

Abner

Amos

Ezra

Phineas

Dashiell

Gus