Why do Republicans protend to know the difference between being Latino and Hispanic?

Update:

Define Latino:

Define Hispanic:

Update 2:

Here is a clue, all Hispanics are Latinos. But not all Latinos are Hispanic.

Update 3:

@ Captialism is Glorified Greed

You are speaking about Hispanic as in Language which is not the common usage of the word. I'm speaking of both Language, and Spanish heritage.

Latino is has to do with cultural heritage from any of the Romance Language motherland.

Update 4:

It was a typo idiots. Good for you.

Update 5:

@ Smell like

Really, so people from Latin America (Latino America) are not Latin Americans (Latino Americano). Well, I guess you know better than me who am actually a Latino.

Update 6:

@Ted

So she isn't Hispanic, and Latino. Okay it must be news to her too. And news to my Grand Parents as well.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pen%C3%A9lope_Cruz

18 Answers

Relevance
  • Mike W
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Hispanic: Spanish speaking person or culture, including Spain, Central and South America, may also include the Philippines. Excludes Brazil (Portuguese speaking), Belize and Guyana (English Speaking), Suriname (Dutch Speaking), French Guyana, and several English speaking Caribbean island nations and territories.

Latino: Someone from a country that has a Romance language, includes. Span, Catalonia, Galicia, Italy, France, Romania, Central and South America, excluding the English and Dutch speaking countries.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

if you're going to make a big deal about this, you should have taken a moment and google defined the word you claim to know the definition of.

Latino:Latin American: a native of Latin America; includes anyone in the United Status who is from or has an ethnic background from Central America, South America, and the Caribbean.

Latino is not a word to describe anyone speaking a Romance language. Italians and Frenchmen are not Latinos.

Source(s): Argue it out with wikipedia and the rest of the world, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hispanic_and_Latino_A...
  • 1 decade ago

The relevance of this in the US is?

This is America, all of us came here from somewhere even the natives. Anybody alive today was either born here or emigrated from somewhere else. No matter where we came from we have one thing in common. We traded our ancestors culture for a new and better culture, American culture. It's not White culture, it's not European culture it's a unique blend contributed too by every group of immigrants who've assimilated into our nation including Hispanics.

Me I see only three kinds of people in the US. Americans, visitors and invaders. There is no hypon. American has no skin color or religion or even political belief. Your either American or not. You can't be a part time American for America is a jealous culture which doesn't share it's people with anybody. We treasure our own and reject those who reject us. What kind of music you listen, what clothes you wear or even if choose to not wear clothes at all, that doesn't make you an American or not. How you decorate your lawn or your home that's not part of our culture.

American culture is simple.

Love this nation.

Your fellow citizens are your brothers and sisters. We can hit each other but woe be to any who touches a fellow American who isn't American.

Speak English. It is a trait that bonds us together and keeps the costs of society down.

Treasure the American dream. No matter where you came from, no matter what accidents of birth such as ethnicity, religion, economic class or level of education, the only things that Americans should be measured on is effort and merit. You got a good idea and work at it you then you should go as far as the idea is good and as hard as your willing to work at it. Gender, race none of that should stop or slow you down. American transcends such things. If nothing else hard work alone should be enough to advance your cause. Maybe you don't become wealthy but if you work hard you deserve a certain level of comfort in reward for that work. One should always be able to better themselves if they put the effort into it.

Work ethic and hatred of corruption. , without it we just become another third world nation. All 3rd world nations share one or both traits. Either a poor work ethic and more importantly corruption.

Door's open. Join us, leave your skin color at the door, there's no place for racism in America. Believe in the dream that's made America so great. Be one of us and drop the hyphon. Quit being a skin color, be American instead. Just plain American not Latino or whatever this week's word for some specific sub group of a sub group of sub group is.

As for difference between Latino and Hispanic to be honest I don't care. Hispanic is an ethnic description and nothing more. About as important as whether your right handed or left handed. A minute detail that has no significance to me at all.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

And why would that definitive difference be important to know for any Party ? Are you implying Democrats KNOW the distinct differences ? Do you really think Joe Biden knows the difference ?

Or Harry Reid ?

Latino: Central American which I "believe" includes Puerto Rico.

Hispanic: Any country of Spanish descent or customs.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

Hispanics- people of Spain/Hispania (some people translate to people descended from Spain/Hispania), it came from the Romans. The general use of the term is refereced to the spanish speaking populations (meaning not Brazil).

Latino- References to those of latin descent but the more common understanding of the word is applied to only represent latin america.

• 1 decade ago

Hispanic: someone who speaks Spanish

Latino: someone who descends from a Latin culture (could include Italians as well, technically)

EDIT: all hispanics aren't latinos! the entire country of Guinea Bissau in West Africa are hispanic (since they speak spanish as a first language) but they certainly aren't latino!

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Wrong and you fail again! Hispanics can spell pretend. Latinos spell it "Protend." See the difference? Aren't you getting tired of being wrong? "Hooked on phonics worked for me!"

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Penelope Cruz is Latin, but she is not Hispanic because she is a European from Spain and does not come from Latin America.

• 1 decade ago

maybe they think they can do it cause they know the difference between protend and pretend and I may have been born in Puerto Rico but my home is America and I honor her laws and love being here why don,t you?

• 1 decade ago

Is the part where we're supposed to say "Oh no, they're onto us now Johnny."

-Not a Republican but finds you question sophomoric and offensive.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.