promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
Anonymous
Anonymous asked in SportsFootball (Soccer)FIFA World Cup (TM) · 1 decade ago

Why the FIFA World Cup is way bigger than Olympic Soccer?

& why dont the big soccer stars dont play Olympic Soccer

8 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

The idea of youth teams found favour at both FIFA and the IOC, and since 1992 players of the mens competition must be under 23 years of age, with three over-23 players allowed per squad. The tournament is now effectively an "Under-23 World Cup", complementing FIFA's own tournaments at Under-20 and Under-17 levels. The new format allows teams from around the world to compete equally, and African and Asian countries have taken particular advantage of this, with Nigeria and Cameroon winning in 1996 and 2000 respectively.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

I think it's because Olympic Football(soccer) Doesn't focus on ONLY soccer, it focuses on other sports too. Where World Cup focuses on ONLY soccer.

And Olympic soccer is every 8 years. And World Cup is only every 4 years.

But this is a good question. I don't have anymore reasons why, but winning the World Cup, seems to be more of an accomplishment then winning Olympic soccer, it does gain a lot more fans.

• 1 decade ago

Olympic soccer is mainly for younger players under 23 i think. Only a few players above this age can play (i think around 4).

but to the world cup all the best players and strongest squads can go.

• 4 years ago

Olympics - because almost all countries get to participate and not all get to play in Football event. From the Football perspective Olympics is not the biggest achievement compared to world cup. World cup is unique and it is only for Football. Only 32 get to compete at the final stage, but the build up which goes for 4 years allowing all playing countries to compete. So from football sense FIFA world cup is The Biggest Event.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • cya
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago

because the olympics are different

1-not only teams can play

2-they play with the olympic team which consists of 23 year olds or younger

3-players older than 23 years need approval from the olympic committee

• 1 decade ago

Because the world cup shows the best of each team and nation.

• 1 decade ago

It's under 23 which sucks

• 1 decade ago

because it allows professional footballers to play as for the olympics it is mainly made up of amatuers{or the ones that haven't made pro yet}

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.