What kind of SUV's are good in any kind of weather, especially snow and ice?

I'm moving to Colorado and am trading in my old car for a newer one. I want to know what SUV is good in snow. It has to look pretty and have all the necessary gadgets and creature comforts. (GPS, CD changer, A/C, heated seats, etc.) What do you suggest?

Favorite Answer

I just went through my first winter with my SUV. There have been accidents with SUV's, where there were deaths this winter. On the news I heard that with all SUV's you have to take extra precaution, they are very top heavy, and apparently can get into a wreck quicker than say a truck. Just make sure that you have a vehicle with 4-wheel drive/all wheel drive. I just use mine to go back and forth to work and it was wonderful for me this winter. Mine does not have heated seats. These are nice, but not a necessity.

• Alice

I strongly suggest that you try a Subaru Forester, the L.L. Bean limited edition.

You may think that this smaller SUV is not big enough for you, but I want to tell you from years of personal experience that these SUVs are completely unbeatable in the snow. The all-wheel drive gives superior handling in deep snow or slippery roads, and the fact that they are built on a car chassis means that they do not have the typical high center of gravity found in most oversized behemoth type vehicles, not to mention to excellent gas mileage. Trust me when I assure you that the cargo capacity is amazing. I am sure you would be impressed if I told you what I have been able to put into my vehicle.

Reliability is excellent and we have had few repair issues. They last forever. It is top ranked by both Car & Driver and Consumer Reports, and scores in the top safety ratings for crash tests for both front and side impact accidents.

Not only have we driven our Forester for years on the snow covered roads of upstate New York, but my sister who lives in the hills ouside of Denver also has one and loves hers. I mean it when I say that they will get you straight up the side of a mountain in the worst possible driving conditions.

I do love my heated seats, too.

• demaio

Subarus shelter large interior the snow. even though, AWD will purely provide help to bypass. It wont provide help to end. It provides extra advantageous traction interior the snow by using skill being sent to all 4 wheels. If the snow is particularly deep, even AWD vehicles can get caught. I accept as true with the above poster, snow tires make a large difference. positioned a sequence of four on an AWD motor vehicle and you particularly wouldn't have a difficulty.

The only vehicles that are good on ice are hovercraft. No SUV or car is good on ice. Some are less bad than others, but even the best one is still not good.

For snow, Hummers are arguably the best, but their fuel economy is so bad that you would want a second vehicle to use whenever the Hummer is not absolutely needed.

• Hans

As long as it has 4 wheel drive you should be ok, although it'll take awhile until you're pretty good at driving in the snow.. it can be tricky.

If you really wanted to be outlandish with traction in the winter, shoot for one with AWD although there are less available in AWD than 4WD

nissan xterra

subaru forester

subaru outback

toyota 4runner

this may help you.

http://www.cargurus.com/blog/2009/11/13/the-10-bes...