Anonymous
Anonymous asked in TravelEurope (Continental)Greece · 10 years ago

Are Greeks and Turks the same race?

I know Greeks used to be Europeans, you can tell this from ancient statues etc, but the country has been invaded by Turkey so much, interbreeding must have occurred are the greeks now the same as the Turks?

Yes it matters, or else I wouldn't have asked!

The word race presents problems. The question seem to suggest whether the Greeks of today share ancestors with the Turks of today?

Before we answer, we must look at the history of these two nations. |The Greeks had a long history. But the Greeks in the Helenic peninsula has had ancient Greeks , Romans, Scythians , Persians, South Slavs, Alans , and some germanic tribes settling amongst them. Alexander took over the Persian Empire, then the Eastern Roman Empire became Greek. The people of Trebisond Armenia, Kurds and celtic tribes (the Galatos) all marrying each other and adopting each other cultures.

Then came the turks who added themselves to the mix. One may say there are more Greek ancestors in many Turks today then the other way round through conversion and marriage. before 1924, there were Turks who spoke "Roman/Greek" . There is an interesting french traveller in the Napoleonic era who remark that the Turkish Pasha in Morea had Greek Wives and spoke to each other in Greek. All his descendants would have considered themselves TURK and has left Greece for Turkey by the treaty of Lausanne.

So are they of the same race? If you put a person from Ankara and one from Athens and dress them the same and ask both Turks and Greeks to say which one is which, if the y cant tell the difference then they are the same race.

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Are Greeks and Turks the same race?

Source(s): greeks turks race: https://shortly.im/8lsUe
    • ewlo4 years agoReport

Greeks are Europeans dumbass, they always have been but they are mediterranean so them and Italians share similar cultures to middle easterners.

Well I m north Indian and 99% of locals in Turkey mistake me for being Turkish... which works out beautifully as I don t get fleeced as a tourist :-) It s only when I talk that they can instantly tell I m not a Turk.

So the argument that Turks and Greeks are the same race as you cannot em apart is, in my opinion, invalid. The only conclusive way to answer this question is to look at DNA markers. And in fact, all Mediterranean populations have very similar genetic markers, so technically they re all the same race across the Mediterranean.

I want to be sure , is that a nordicist trolling Greeks or an Albanian trolling Turks here , it is very funny

We are not coming from same ancestor

people who say Turks look like Greeks must know not every Turkish citizen is ethnic Turk

Greeks have longer face , we usually have round faces almond shaped eyes (usually hooded or small )

We have around %5 -15 (can rise to %30 East Asian or North East Asian admix , Greeks are native meditarreneans

Our hair usually straight not curly

We have fair or olive skin but yellow undertone .

Some Greeks may have North African DNA (Cypriots) can be darker .

Greeks are usually taller , girls tend to have big boobs .

Turks with asian can look more feminine, Greek girls look more atletic

I am not trolling anyone, these are my sincere observations ..

They can't be the same race, since obviously these two are different words. However as someone who was born in Turkey and idetifies with no nationality, i would say they share a lot of genes and culture. Appereances are also similar theis in many Mediterrenean nations, such as Italy, Spain, Southern France etc.

Some are the same race, but because of Turkey's location at the crossroads between Europe and Asia, Turkey has a more racially varied population.

Regarding Anatolia the Turkish population increased gradually, though Anatolian population had already decreased very much because of ongoing wars, local christian population took refuge in big cities so Turkmens populated the whole Anatolia step by step, the last known big migration was after the battle of Ankara. Afterall Turkmens were living in closed societies under beyliks so they hardly mixed any christian or any other tribe rather than their own or tried to convert local people to Islam, so it will be right to say they overpopulated Anatolia in time and became majority rather than converting people to Islam...

I have visited those two countries. I do not see any differences among those people. All of them either Greeks or Turks are look a like. I think they came from the same ancestor.

Greeks And Turks

HELL NO ! Greeks are Europeans , Turks are Asians. Greeks are Christians , Turks are Muslims . And the most important : Greeks are handsome , and Turks look terrible !