If a white person was born and raised in Africa and then become a citizen of the United States of America, do?

If a white person was born and raised in Africa and then become a citizen of the United States of America, does that makes them an African-American.

12 Answers

Relevance
  • 10 years ago
    Best Answer

No,African-American only refers to the Blacks who have been here for generations. Africans who become American citizens do not call themselves African-American. American citizens from Nigeria for example call themselves Nigerian-American.

• Bill C
    Lv 6
    10 years ago

I'd say it absolutely does.

On the flip side - If a black person is born and raised in the United States, are they African American? Or are they just a black American?

If you go far enough back, we're ALL from Africa.

• 10 years ago

"I'd say it absolutely does.

On the flip side - If a black person is born and raised in the United States, are they African American? Or are they just a black American?

If you go far enough back, we're ALL from Africa."

Give this man best answer.

• lees
    Lv 4
    3 years ago

that's lots extra probably a white man or woman, born in Africa may be stated via their u . s . a . of beginning rather. as an occasion, "white South African" or "white Ugandan" or "white Kenyan". the assumption of asserting "white African-American" provides the computing device crowd a foul case of heartburn.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    10 years ago

You know, this is a good question. A south african went for a promotion in my dad's work (police) and when he didn't get it and the black applicants did, he sued because he said he was an "African American" and therefore they had to promote him.

• Mc Fly
    Lv 5
    10 years ago

My parents are both 100% italian, but because I live here in America, I am proud to consider myself 100% American.

• Rob B
    Lv 7
    10 years ago

Not according to the way the US Government tracks race. That is reserved for persons having origins in any of the Black peoples of Africa.

Of course, if you wanted to call yourself that for whatever reason you wanted, fine.

• 10 years ago

Congrats, no one has asked that question here for at least 2 weeks.

• Anonymous
    10 years ago

it depends the tonality of white.

White Mexicans and other white Latinos prefer to be considered Hispanics.

• Millie
    Lv 7
    10 years ago

Technically, yes...

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.