If a white person was born and raised in Africa and then become a citizen of the United States of America, do?

If a white person was born and raised in Africa and then become a citizen of the United States of America, does that makes them an African-American.

Best Answer

No,African-American only refers to the Blacks who have been here for generations. Africans who become American citizens do not call themselves African-American. American citizens from Nigeria for example call themselves Nigerian-American.

• Bill C

I'd say it absolutely does.

On the flip side - If a black person is born and raised in the United States, are they African American? Or are they just a black American?

If you go far enough back, we're ALL from Africa.

"I'd say it absolutely does.

If you go far enough back, we're ALL from Africa."

Give this man best answer.

• lees

that's lots extra probably a white man or woman, born in Africa may be stated via their u . s . a . of beginning rather. as an occasion, "white South African" or "white Ugandan" or "white Kenyan". the assumption of asserting "white African-American" provides the computing device crowd a foul case of heartburn.

You know, this is a good question. A south african went for a promotion in my dad's work (police) and when he didn't get it and the black applicants did, he sued because he said he was an "African American" and therefore they had to promote him.

• Mc Fly

My parents are both 100% italian, but because I live here in America, I am proud to consider myself 100% American.

• Rob B

Not according to the way the US Government tracks race. That is reserved for persons having origins in any of the Black peoples of Africa.

Of course, if you wanted to call yourself that for whatever reason you wanted, fine.

Congrats, no one has asked that question here for at least 2 weeks.

it depends the tonality of white.

White Mexicans and other white Latinos prefer to be considered Hispanics.

• Millie

Technically, yes...