Germz asked in Business & FinanceInvesting · 10 years ago

How can I change from my current stock broker to another broker?

My current broker charges a high trading fee.

12 Answers

Relevance
  • 10 years ago
    Favorite Answer

If your only complaint is trading fees, ask your current broker if they can reduce the fee. If that doesn't work out, transfer your account.

Find a new broker, open an account, and ask them how to transfer your account. Most brokerage firms participate in the ACAT System (Automated Customer Account Transfer System) which transfers your account assets in about 5-7 business days and takes care of any trailing income (e.g. you're owed a dividend payment but it won't credit your account for another month -- transfer your account now, and next month when the dividend credits your old account, ACATS pushes the money over to your new account.) Most ACATS-participating firms will also transfer your cost basis information along with your stock.

The downside is there may be a fee for ACATS transfer charged by the broker you're leaving. Could be small, could be $100.00. If your account is simple (like, 1 or 2 stock positions,) it's worth it to avoid the ACATS fee by opening the account at your new broker and then asking your old broker to transfer each stock to your new broker via DTC free delivery ("free" in the sense of broker A is sending stock to broker B without expecting payment in return. Some brokerage firms charge for free delivery but it's usually less than ACATS.) However, any follow-up for trailing income, closing the old account, and tracking cost basis then becomes your responsibility.

• 3 years ago

Source(s): Invest in Forex Tips http://teres.info/TheTradingCode
  • Len
    Lv 7
    10 years ago

Call your broker and tell him you are unwilling to continue your trading relationship unless you both can agree to reasonable and competitive rates. State that you're prepared to arrange for a house-to-house transfer of assets. There is usually no fee for this and you begin the process by having the new brokerage you select handle the paperwork. You'll be asked which assets are to be transferred. When I've done this, I opted to move all assets to avoid complications down the line. I've done this before, it cost me nothing at all and I was far happier afterwards for I deeply resented earlier conditions.

By the way, I called my broker a couple of years ago and told the representative that I didn't like paying $9.95 per trade, that I wanted the commission lowered. When asked what I thought would be reasonable, I said $7. I've paid that rate ever since.

More recently, I complained that it sometimes takes too long to get an order executed and I lose money in the process. I was furnished with a telephone number granting me access to a favored client desk which I now use daily. The qualifier is probably based on portfolio value but anyone might be granted access if it's made known that you're not a happy camper, regardless of NAV.

Len

Source(s): stock analyst and trader
    • sandra5 years agoReport

len......I want the same broker you have....mind sharing it? thank you sandra19612@att.net

• 10 years ago

Have you expressed your concern to your current broker? If not, try to resolve the situation. If you still want to change, then research, find a new broker, open an account there.

The new broker will send you all of the necessary paperwork to move your portfolio over. The new broker wants to make it as easy as possible for you to transfer.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    5 years ago

Binary options let users trade in currency pairs and stocks for various predetermined time-periods, minimal of which is 30 seconds. Executing trades is straightforward. The system uses user-friendly interfaces, which even an 8 years old kid, can operate without having to read any instructions. But winning trades is Not easy.

Binary trading is advertised as the only genuine system that lets users earn preposterous amounts of money in ridiculously short period of time. Advertisers try to implicate as if you can make $350 every 60 seconds; if it was true then binary trading would truly be an astonishing business.

However, does it make any sense? Can every trader make tons of money in binary trading? Who is actually paying all the money or the profit to traders?

The first challenge is finding a trustworthy binary broker; secondly, you need to find a binary trading strategy, which you can use to make profits consistently. Without an effective trading strategy, there is no way you can make money in this business.

Learning a profitable trading strategy is possible, You should watch this presentation video https://tr.im/4f450

It's probably the best way to learn how to win with binary option

• Anonymous
    5 years ago

Penny stocks are loosely categorized companies with share prices of below $5 and with market caps of under $200 million. They are sometimes referred to as "the slot machines of the equity market" because of the money involved. There may be a good place for penny stocks in the portfolio of an experienced, advanced investor, however, if you follow this guide you will learn the most efficient strategies https://tr.im/fb19f

• Anonymous
    10 years ago

Call said broker- tell him/her you are taking your business elsewhere. Have him/her transfer your portfolio to new broker. Problem solved. Or, ask old broker to reduce trading fee.

Source(s): Rather simple to do, surprised this was asked.
  • 4 years ago

You can make money in binary options only if you treat it as a real form of investing. Learn here https://tr.im/ULyKm

This means learning how it works, learning how to read charts and learning how you can make accurate predictions. All these are not that difficult but it takes some time. If you treat it as gambling and just make random predictions then you will obviously not win.

• Anonymous
    5 years ago

the best trading software http://tradingsolution.info

i have attended a lot of seminars, read counless books on forex trading and it all cost me thousands of dollars. the worst thing was i blew up my first account. after that i opened another account and the same thing happened again. i started to wonder why i couldn,t make any money in forex trading. at first i thought i knew everything about trading. finally i found that the main problem i have was i did not have the right mental in trading. as we know that psychology has great impact on our trading result. apart from psychology issue, there is another problem that we have to address. they are money management, market analysis, and entry/exit rules. to me money management is important in trading. i opened another account and start to trade profitably after i learnt from my past mistake. i don't trade emotionally anymore.

if you are serious about trading you need to address your weakness and try to fix it. no forex guru can make you Professional trader unless you want to learn from your mistake.

• 10 years ago

You will have to sell all your securities with your current broker first.

There may be fees for this.

You can not transfer - even stocks -from one brokerage to another.

Call your new broker and please verify this.

Call the new broker - they will guide you.

Hope you are switching to Charles Schwab or Fidelity Investments.

They have no tricks on yearly fees or maintenance fees.

/

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.