Alcohol at High School Graduation Party?

So i'm graduating from High School in May!! Were having a big bash and have family flying in from everywhere, along with high school friends (about 30) altogether we will have 70-80 people, mostly adults. Its kind of a family get-together in a sense. Were having a mexican fiesta theme and it starts at 6pm and will go to early in the morning, so its a PARTY not an open house (those are lame : ) My parents and I are at odds, i want alcohol at the party and so does all the adults i have talked to but my parents to do not. I have no desire to drink but my family and (adult) friends do. The alcohol would be monitored and kids should stay out.

I just find that people loosen up and have a little bit more fun when there is alcohol around, besides i love watching people who have maybe had a little to much to drink : )

FYI the teen friends will probably come and go early and the family, good family friends and neighbors will stay late into the night.

Your thoughts?

Update:

I've never been to a family get together without alcohol (we have one every year at our lake house) and every year there is alcohol for the adults, and its is always entertaining. There will be a lot of different people there. Teens, Families, Neighbors, Young Adults, Old people, Old people who never grew up and still do drugs, etc. etc. etc.

Your basic family unit right? : )

Update 2:

FYI I have NO plan to drink, it's just not my thing, i don't want to get drunk. It's not for me (well, kind of my entertainment) its for the adults of legal drinking age.

Update 3:

Downside to alcohol in case of problems, my dad is a volunteer Fire Fighter and works for the City, if something happens it could be bad, he also would not let me set off fireworks in the back field for the same reason because he is on the Fire Dept. and its against the law to set off fireworks in IA. lol

11 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    10 years ago
    Best Answer

There was alcohol at my graduation party and shockingly people under 21 didn't drink it and also nobody died.

Of course, afterward I did partake daily until the supply was exhausted.

• Anonymous
    4 years ago

Why would your ex even want to risk it? Kids that age are drawn to alcohol because it's "cool" and it's prohibited. Having alcohol at the party is a recipe for disaster. The best thing you can point out to him is that liability is a huge factor here. If even one kid sneaks some of the alcohol, he can be held legally liable if the kid: 1) gets sick, 2) drives and gets into an accident, 3) his parents find out and get mad and sue the source of the alcohol, etc. What if a kid gets drunk and then gets pregnant? Guess who's responsible? Your ex! No one is held accountable for their personal actions anymore, and there is too much liability in having alcohol around underage teens. Your ex will be very sorry if he goes forward and has alcohol at the party because he will probably be held liable for that decision in a court of law. He could lose everything he has just for a few beers. Not smart!!!

• 10 years ago

You should respect your parents wishes. If you want to drink with your friends, do it somewhere besides the family gathering. I don't think you should drink until you are of legal age, but I know you probably will anyway. Just hope you don't lose some friends in auto accidents as a result.

• 10 years ago

Just curious, how do you figure this is in ANY WAY, SHAPE or FORM YOUR decision? If i believe your post, and i tend to, how far would you have gotten w/o the good decisions of your parents? You think its time to distrust em NOW?! I'm glad you graduated, you seem like a nice enough kid, BUT, its HS... if you're lucky, its 1/5 of your life "in the box"... you've at least, 50 yrs to make your own decisions (both good n bad) plz don't try to second guess your parents at this point in time. Adults (guests included) can make thier OWN alcohol decisions. Good Luck to you, CONGRATS on graduation!!! :]

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 10 years ago

well if you have alcohol at the party, it will be garanteed that a least 1 kid will find some alcohol somehow, and were talking about high school kids, so even though it is fun to watch drunk people, it would be hard to keep the alcohol monitored at all times

Source(s): opinion
  • 10 years ago

I say ditch the alcohol you dont need alcohol to have a good time. And we all know that once you get alcohol all of your friends will be drinking too not just your so called adult friends. So just to avoid all of the drama and illegal alcohol just leave it out.

• 10 years ago

I feel that it is your parents house and you should respect that. I know you and others may want it there but ultimately it is up to your parents. I wish I would have listened to my parents more than I did.... now I see what they were trying to do and understand.

Source(s): experience
  • Anonymous
    10 years ago

Ahahaha!! *NO!!* ONLY if some guests are over 21 but even then, it only spells for disaster.

• 10 years ago

empty out the coke and sprite bottles and pour the good stuff

• Anonymous
    10 years ago

NOO! trust me, it is a BAD idea!

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.