Was Martha Mitchell murdered?

Remember how she talked openly about Watergate when her husband seemed to be getting blamed for the mess. She was portrayed as an alkie and mentally imbalanced woman by the media. She died in 1976 of a "rare" bone cancer. Is is likely that she was murdered to keep her from telling everything that she knew?

• lorr
    Favorite Answer

We will never know!

Dubbed “the Mouth of the South”, Martha Mitchell began contacting reporters

when her husband's role in the scandal became known. At one time, Martha

insisted she was held against her will in a California hotel room and sedated

to keep her from making her controversial phone calls to the news media.

However, because of this, she was discredited and even abandoned by most

of her family, except her son Jay. Nixon aides even leaked to the press that

she had a “drinking problem”.

Nixon later told interviewer David Frost (in September 1977 on Frost on America)

“If it hadn't been for Martha Mitchell, there'd have been no Watergate.”

The Mitchells separated in 1973.

May 1976, Martha Elizabeth Beall Mitchell died in advanced stages of myeloma, Martha slipped into a coma and died in Washington at age 57.

Myeloma,a cancer of the white blood cells known as plasma cells.[1] A type of B cell, plasma cells are a crucial part of the immune system responsible for the production of antibodies in humans and other vertebrates. They are produced in the bone marrow and are transported through the lymphatic system. Due to the fundamental nature of the system affected, multiple myeloma manifests systemic symptoms that make it difficult to diagnose.

• poplar

Martha Mitchell

I believe strongly that Martha Mitchell and Vince Foster were killed to prevent them from revealing some truth. I usually don't believe in conspiracy theories but these two cases really intrigue me.

• daisy

This whole thing was fishy from the start of the {I am not a crook} Nixon - Watergate era. Corruption of the highest level with just about every type of crook involved. Funny, Martha was never considered 'mentally unstable' until she revealed information about the illegal goings on at that time.

She always was a fiesty woman and helped her husband get where he was. Too bad he turned. Being held and injected with drugs is an old stand by of our government, hence, they become ' unbalanced.'

Still can remember her ranting on about politics. It was a scary time and we were being spoon fed the news then. I still watch the movie, All the Presidents Men and wonder about the rest of the story that we don't know about. I think more movies and documentaries could be made while the people involved are still alive. I think she was brave and dumb at the same time. Wish someone would have taken her more seriously and at least found out the truth sooner. It was a horrible time and she was probably married to a monster.

I love Meg Cabot (Heather Wells & Queen of Babble) and Sophie Kinsella's (Shopaholic [soon to be movie] & Remember Me) books. I am in the process of reading Emily Giffin's (Something Borrowed & Something Blue, Baby Proof) books. They are all great authors! For a young adult/teen I recommend Meg Cabot's young adult books. She is the best author. Also best selling. She wrote tons of books including the Princess Diaries (Movies based on her books), Mediator (upcoming movie), 1-800-Missing (TV show based on her books), Jinx, and more. She has adult books too, so you can grow with her. If you want more info or meg cabot's website email me.

• SueyN

Martha Mitchell was portrayed a big mouth and not to be taken seriously. I remember it was reported that she told people that she was kidnapped. When you think of it, isn't it sickening what might have happened to her.

Poor Martha spoke the truth and back in those days they locked up head strong women and tagged them as being mentally ill.

They murdered her spirit a long time before her physical death.

• Cleo

I followed the Watergate saga closely and always felt that there was a strong possibility she was murdered. Yes she died of cancer but people in high places can obtain whatever is needed to get a job done.

In Washington secrets go to the grave. People are paid off or markers are called in. John Q Public will never find the truth out just like Vince Foster's supposed suicide.

Yes she was IMO. I watched her on t.v over and over and I believe she had to be shut up and her husband was a part of it as far as I'm concerned. He refused to allow their daughter to see her and turned the kid against her. I do believe she was injected with a bunch of crap.

In one of her interviews that I saw, she said that one of the men who held her down for the injections was a CIA man . At the time she said she asked him why he was doing this. She knew him from former contacts in the political world.