What kind of light bulb do plants grow under?

In biology class, we did a project where we grew plants, and they were under light bulbs. But I forgot what kind of light bulb our teacher said it was. It was shaped like a tube, I remember.

I don't have to know what it is, but I'd like to sound like I know what I'm talking about in my paper.

5 Answers

  • 10 years ago
    Best Answer

    It should be a Fluorescent/ T5 light. Does it looks like this?


  • 10 years ago


    Well that all depends, if the plant grow lights had two or one power socket, i'm guessing if it had two you'd already no that's a fluorescent bulb, so your teacher would probably have been using a High pressure sodium bulb, which was developed for street lighting, and has been adapted for growing plants to now.

    some info below on grow lighting and plant light spectrum a swell,hope this helps.

  • 10 years ago

    You use fluorescent bulbs. They come in several types. The cheapest way to give plants the light they need is to combine one cool white bulb with one warm white bulb. You can also buy a bulb that is specific for growing plants but these tend to be expensive.

  • 10 years ago


    some call it a shop light

  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • XYZ
    Lv 5
    10 years ago


Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.