Should I know to Ohio State University or University of Iowa?

I need to decide where to go to college by may 1st, and im torwn between these two schools. Im hearing good and bad things about both. Im from IL, so both will be a nice chance for me, and im considering studying speech and hearing. ANY ADVICE?

• Rain
    Favorite Answer

Well U of Iowa will be way cheaper for you as an in-state student than OSU. I went to OSU myself but i have a friend who went to Iowa and she loved it too.

OSU is one of the largest (if not the largest) university in the country. It's right in the middle of Columbus so it is definitely an urban campus. If you are looking for the quintessential 'college experience' then OSU is your school.

Being a large school there are some differences in the education. Prepare to be in classes that can have 400+ students freshmen year. If you are not a 'teach yourself' kind of person this is not your school. I didn't get to know any of my professors that well until my senior year when i finally got some smaller classes. If you are good at reading and keeping up w homework on your own then you'll do fine here, but if you need lots of hand-holding from your teacher then look elsewhere.

The university just got a brand new library and student union...which are amazing! (and i'm a little peeved that they were both closed and under construction when i was there! errrr!!!). The dorms are nothing to write home about, however. Be prepared to have at least one roommate...if not three...as the chances of getting a nice single or large double are almost non-existent for a 1st year.

Moving off campus after freshmen year will give you lots more options. The only problem is that off campus parking is absolutely horrendous! and some of the neighborhoods south of campus can be rough (but not nearly as bad as my hometown of Cleveland haha).

I don't know much about your degree in particular, but OSU is the flagship university of the state, so any degree that you get from that school is respected. OSU is now the most selective public university in Ohio (suck it Miami!!!)

That's just some info i have. Overall i say choose which is most affordable if u are financing your own education though...

• Well U of Iowa will be way cheaper for you as an in-state student than OSU. I went to OSU myself but i have a friend who went to Iowa and she loved it too.

I don't know much about your degree in particular, but OSU is the flagship university of the state, so any degree that you get from that school is respected. OSU is now the most selective public university in Ohio

________________________________________________

Good luck!

• DrIG

Place the name of each school separately into your favorite search engine and then add the phrase reviews and ratings. Compare and contrast them.