Why do some people think it's animal cruelty to feed a snake?

Most living creatures have to eat in order to survive. What I fail to understand is that people don't have any problem feeding pets like dogs, cat's, birds and even exotic animals including monkeys, tigers etc. But when it comes to feeding snakes people all of a sudden go OMG! and get all up in arms... show more Most living creatures have to eat in order to survive. What I fail to understand is that people don't have any problem feeding pets like dogs, cat's, birds and even exotic animals including monkeys, tigers etc. But when it comes to feeding snakes people all of a sudden go OMG! and get all up in arms condemning the person by calling it animal cruelty (my friend who is a snake owner, has recieved such reactions from other people).

Now I can see if someone just up and fed their pet hamster or rabbit to one, that would be wrong. But what about regular house mice? Especially if they are proving to be a pest in your home and running over in numbers. To me I think it would be just as cruel to starve the snake, but what do you think?