You should NEVER feed wild mice to your snake, they carry all sorts of parasites, and could also be carrying poison. I know someone who ended up with a dead lizard because they fed it a mouse, the vet concluded that the mouse ate poison. To feed your snake mice that you catch is pure stupidity.
I feel its cruel to feed snakes LIVE food. 99% of snakes successfully can be taught to eat pre-killed food, they are not particularly intelligent and a pre-killed, warmed up rodent being wriggled around by the owner fools them into thinking the mouse/rat is alive. There is no need to cause suffering to another animal, and I say this as a snake owner, and as an owner of ball pythons, one of the notorious picky feeders amongst reptiles. I have been keeping and handling snakes for 3 years, not a huge amount of time compared to some but I have never had to live feed in that time...live feed should be a last resort only. A wild mouse can escape, a mouse put into a cage with a live snake has no chance for escape and must feel utter terror.
Aside from this, snakes can and DO die from rodent bites. Mice, and more so rats, have teeth and they DO fight back. When the purpose is to preserve your pets life and keep it healthy and long lived, it seems backwards to unnecessarily feed live mice that can actually kill your snake.
For the rare snake that refuses to take pre-killed food,I think live feeding is fine. For the rest of them, its unecessary and risky.
Owned by 13 reptiles.
· 10 years ago