Heather asked in PetsDogs · 1 decade ago

Advice about a scottish terrier-- ?

My family and I have a chance to adopt a 2 yr old scottish terrier. A great friend of ours is her owner but he is going through a divorce and really wants a family for her.

I have an 11 yr old boy and 9 yr old twin boys.

All the children have always wanted a dog and so have I.

The dog is up to date on her shots and everything else. The owner is sending her with food, a kennel, and toys.

I have never had a dog but love the idea of it for the reasons of love, responsibility and many others.

Does anyone have any advice or comments??

Thanks!

Favorite Answer

My husband and I have been owned by Scottish Terriers for 33 years. They are not a breed to be adopted without doing extensive homework on the breed. As a Scottish Terrier Rescuer, I only place them in homes with Scottish Terrier experience, no swimming pools (they cannot swim, they will drown, as they are build like a brick). An adult Scottie, and at two, this is an adult -- is not going to tolerate having ears pulled, tail pulled, or any kind of rough housing that your 3, presumably, active boys. They have GERMAN SHEPHERD sized teeth. And I have the scars to prove it. I would not get this dog as a first dog for your children. They would be better with a big, gentle dog such as a lab, golden retriever, etc. Scotties are like no other breed. You must earn their affection and trust. They are best suited to an adult home with young people age 14 and up. If your friend needs help in placing this Scottie, have her contact me at angusmom@yahoo.com -- I will put her in touch with the proper Scottish Terrier Rescue contact and they will find a wonderful, Scottie experienced home for the two year old. Or she can go here: http://www.stca.biz/rescuelist.asp and find the appropriate rescue association. We have no children, no siblings, and the Scotties are 'the children' -- we love them and accept them for the independent, stubborn, beautiful little characters they are.

Source(s): 33 years of personal experience with this breed. We have been owned by 7 Scotties over this period of time. In addition, we are the Scottish Terrier Rescuers for Lollypop Farm, in upstate NY. Members of Scottish Terrier Rescue Association of Northern New York, Members of Canadian Scottish Terrier Club.

Hi! I have owned Scotties for 20-some years and my advice is similar to the Rogersmom post. Scotties are very, very headstrong little dogs and combined with 3 active boys I would say this is quite possibly a disaster waiting to happen. One of my Scotties came to me from a busy family of Mom and Dad working, one schoolage child and one child about 2 years old. The Scottie had been abused in this household not deliberately but because it was so busy there wasn't the proper time, patience and understanding of the needs of the Scottie. As many times happens nerves fray and then it is easy to take it out on the dog. I'm not saying this would happen but you must understand that a Scotties nickname should be "strong-will"! I'm sorry but I have to say it: A Scottish Terrier in NOT a good "first dog".

Source(s): Owner exclusively of Scottish Terriers -- 20 plus years experience from puppies to the oldsters. One obtained from Scottish Terrier Rescue. Currently own two females -- both 4 years old.

My family has two scottish terriers and they are the most wonderful dogs to be with ... they get along really well with my little sister ... great family dogs ... and have big, funny characters ... the only thing I would say to consider is that they do have a mind of there own, so they may be harder to train ... apart from that I think they make a great addition to a family! Good luck!

Terriers in general tend to have minds of their own, so you will probably have to have a firm hand with him, but with three boys, you probably have to have that, anyway. :o)

It would be a good idea for you to take him and your boys to a training class to learn how to handle the dog.

Also, I have heard that Scotties are not the most patient dogs with roughhousing, so it would be good for your boys to have some guidance on how to treat the dog.

I have always loved the Scottie look - good luck with your new dog. :o)

Source(s): lots o dogs (a couple of terriers)

We have been given our 2d male scottie whilst the 1st became around 6 months old. yet our breeder did advise just to get the 2d if the two have been to be neutered. They have been opposite in temperment yet ultimate of pals. You not often observed one without the different and one became often being utilized by potential of the different as a pillow whilst they slept. choose for it!!