How do domain names work?

I'm thinking about buying a domain name for $1.99 from GoDaddy. However I'm not sure if I'm going to use it anytime soon. I just want to buy it to reserve it. Are there any restrictions/fees? Do I have to pay a fee or re-buy it after a period of time?

Thanks!

Favorite Answer

The $1.99 is for the first year only (reg price after that) and must be grouped with a hosting plan in the same transaction.

I suggest http://www.newinternetdomains.com for better "regular" prices.

Generally, you purchase a Domain Name for a fee, for a specified amount of time i.e. 1, 2 or 3 years, you can set up automatic renewal's (this is advisable) at time of purchase or at any time while you own these domain's, as once the time expires the domain will end up back on the open market. There are No restrictions or other fees and once you have purchased your domain and it will be automatically "parked" until you get domain hosting for your domain or redirect your DNS to this domain. Hope this Helps.

As you may know a domain name is just a name, not a real website. If you are going to create your website: 1- Buy a domain name. A domain name is a name you want to call your website (ex: www.yahoo.com). To get a domain name, you have to pay an annual fee to a registrar for the right to use that name. 2- Buy a web hosting service to provide your online space and enable you to get your website online at your purchased domain name.

If you want to start your website I recommend purchase your domain and hosting together. In this way it is possible to get your domain for free. Some hosting services offer this gift today.

As an experienced webmaster I recommend BH web hosting which I’m sure it would work for you and fulfill all your requirements. They have a really great offer for hosting & I have used them for over 3 yrs now, and have never had a single problem with them.

You can reach reviews about this web hosting provider and its latest DISCOUNT COUPONS at:

http://www.threehosts.com/reviews/1st

Only $3.95 /month (with discount coupon)

They also offer "Free Site Builder" that helps you build your web pages without difficulty if you are not skilled in using any website creating program (WYSIWYG: What You See Is What You Get). You can use this service optionally. You can also create the pages offline with your favorite program (DreamWeaver, FrontPage, Microsoft Publisher, iWeb etc.), and then upload them to your web host. This is another easy way to get your website online.

******IMPORTANT********

* This service was awarded the “Best Web Hosting OF The Year”.

* If you sign up for this service you will have $75 credits to advertise your website with the google & yahoo search engines for free!

* You Can Register A Free Domain or Use Your Existing Domains. They Support All Domain Names.

****************************

Another useful link:

http://www.threehosts.com/build

There you can find a step-by-step guide to start your website.

Hope this helps.

Yes really you need to pay the amount after the Period over..In here

http://www.tucktail.com/ also You can register The Domain Name at $1.99USD...with many free services like Hosting,I registered the Domain name with .com Extension...

• sankar

Web4Africa continues to be your terrific determination. whether for low value area registration that starts off from only $8.50/12 months or the worldwide-classification cyber web cyber web hosting provider they furnish at low-costs. aside Alertpay, in addition they settle for fee via way of e-gold, moneybookers, paypal, Liberty Reserve or perhaps credit enjoying cards.

Yes, you will need to renew it after every year. There are no other fees or restrictions.

chostgator.tk