If you cut deckles into the border of your prints can you ask for 20% more at galleries and shows?

Best Answer

Twenty percent might be a little high, but I work in an art gallery and you'd be surprised at how much people go for deckled edges. They like that they can float the art on a mat and display it in its entirety, rather than covering the edges. And showing the deckled border lets everyone know that it's not a high-quality poster, which makes them feel like collectors of fine art.

I say try doing the markup and see what happens. What's the worst case scenario? You'll have to reduce the price to what you originally expected to get for your prints? Nothing ventured, nothing gained. And never underestimate the public appetite for pretentiousness!

I had no idea what deckles were before, but it's quite an interesting question. Thanks for posting and thanks for dexterville for answering. Very interesting. I will keep my eyes opened now for the "deckles" when I visit galleries.

• Lili

No. What matters is the quality of your work, not merely whether it includes deckles.