Why do we have Earth day and why?

I just want to know.

• Robin
    Favorite Answer

Earth Day is not without its various origins. It is widely circulated and understood that the official Earth Day began in 1962, when Senator Gaylord Nelson wanted to “…persuade President Kennedy to give visibility to this issue [environmental problems] by going on a national conservation tour.” That idea was not a success, but it was the seed that spawned the beginning of the idea of an official Earth Day. 20 million people participated in the first Earth Day that took place on April 22, 1970.

earth daySelf-proclaimed Earth Day founder John McConnell writes that his original purpose was to provide a date for the world to rededicate themselves to the care of the Earth, and that the day would fall on the March Equinox, recognized on March 20th. The intent was defined and detailed in his Earth Magna Charta. Peter Tamaras, head of the San Francisco Board of Supervisors, requested that McConnell write an Earth Day Proclamation. McConnell presented his Proclamation to the mayor of San Francisco, and on March 1st, 1970, Mayor Joseph L. Alioto issued that Proclamation as the Earth Day Proclamation of San Francisco.

Another influence was almost certainly the celebration of Arbor Day, which has its own interesting history. In the 1840s, Nebraska pioneers had few trees to build with or for use as fire. One of these pioneers, J Sterling Morton and his wife, planted trees around their new home. Mortan later became secretary of the Nebraska Territory and proposed that citizens new to the state set aside April 10th as a day to plant trees. Nebraskans planted about one million trees that first Arbor Day. In 1882 Nebraska changed Arbor Day to April 22nd, Morton’s birthday.

Earth Day Today

earth day field

Earth Day is now recognized globally as a day to discuss and celebrate our relationship with the natural environment, either individually or with a community. Well over 500 million people in more than 140 countries now participate in Earth Day events. Since the advent of the Internet, Earth Day organizers and retailers alike have found it a powerful tool for promoting the causes of Earth Day to people around the world,

Why do we have Earth Day and why?

That is a little repeattetive, not to criticize you or anything.

Anyway, we have it to help the environment and save the Earth. It is a day where we can all band together and solve global envrironment problems. Happy Earth Day!

well we have earth day to well appreciate the earth and all we have. Its a day to stop and think about this wonderful planet. Just go on to Google and click on the picture it will help.

• Well earth day is everyday and here is a story about the creator i made. I hope I helped! ( It seems that if he was talking to you in person!)

Senator Gaylord Nelson, Founder of Earth Day

What was the purpose of Earth Day? How did it start? These are the questions I am most frequently asked.

Actually, the idea for Earth Day evolved over a period of seven years starting in 1962. For several years, it had been troubling me that the state of our environment was simply a non-issue in the politics of the country. Finally, in November 1962, an idea occurred to me that was, I thought, a virtual cinch to put the environment into the political "limelight" once and for all. The idea was to persuade President Kennedy to give visibility to this issue by going on a national conservation tour. I flew to Washington to discuss the proposal with Attorney General Robert Kennedy, who liked the idea. So did the President. The President began his five-day, eleven-state conservation tour in September 1963. For many reasons the tour did not succeed in putting the issue onto the national political agenda. However, it was the germ of the idea that ultimately flowered into Earth Day.

I continued to speak on environmental issues to a variety of audiences in some twenty-five states. All across the country, evidence of environmental degradation was appearing everywhere, and everyone noticed except the political establishment. The environmental issue simply was not to be found on the nation's political agenda. The people were concerned, but the politicians were not.

After President Kennedy's tour, I still hoped for some idea that would thrust the environment into the political mainstream. Six years would pass before the idea that became Earth Day occurred to me while on a conservation speaking tour out West in the summer of 1969. At the time, anti-Vietnam War demonstrations, called "teach-ins," had spread to college campuses all across the nation. Suddenly, the idea occurred to me - why not organize a huge grassroots protest over what was happening to our environment?

I was satisfied that if we could tap into the environmental concerns of the general public and infuse the student anti-war energy into the environmental cause, we could generate a demonstration that would force this issue onto the political agenda. It was a big gamble, but worth a try.

At a conference in Seattle in September 1969, I announced that in the spring of 1970 there would be a nationwide grassroots demonstration on behalf of the environment and invited everyone to participate. The wire services carried the story from coast to coast. The response was electric. It took off like gangbusters. Telegrams, letters, and telephone inquiries poured in from all across the country. The American people finally had a forum to express its concern about what was happening to the land, rivers, lakes, and air - and they did so with spectacular exuberance. For the next four months, two members of my Senate staff, Linda Billings and John Heritage, managed Earth Day affairs out of my Senate office.

Five months before Earth Day, on Sunday, November 30, 1969, The New York Times carried a lengthy article by Gladwin Hill reporting on the astonishing proliferation of environmental events:

"Rising concern about the environmental crisis is sweeping the nation's campuses with an intensity that may be on its way to eclipsing student discontent over the war in Vietnam...a national day of observance of environmental problems...is being planned for next spring...when a nationwide environmental 'teach-in'...coordinated from the office of Senator Gaylord Nelson is planned...."

It was obvious that we were headed for a spectacular success on Earth Day. It was also obvious that grassroots activities had ballooned beyond the capacity of my U.S. Senate office staff to keep up with the telephone calls, paper work, inquiries, etc. In mid-January, three months before Earth Day, John Gardner, Founder of Common Cause, provided temporary space for a Washington, D.C. headquarters. I staffed the office with college students and selected Denis Hayes as coordinator of activities.

Earth Day worked because of the spontaneous response at the grassroots level. We had neither the time nor resources to organize 20 million demonstrators and the thousands of schools and local communities that participated. That was the remarkable thing about Earth Day. It organized itself.

• why not? give the Earth a break, i'm she mother nature would appreciate it ;)

so from all the screwing up of this earth we have done to it, we are nice to it for one day then go back to screwing it up and global warming