Men: Save the wife vs. child?

Let's say your wife is 9 months pregnant and something crazy happens....doctors can only save one....who do you tell the doctor to save? the baby or your wife? and does it matter if the baby is your future son vs. daughter?

• Ian
    Favorite Answer

Save the wife. Doesn't matter whether it was going to be a baby boy or girl.

Now, if it was between saving my wife or my 2.75yo son, it becomes a lot harder. To be honest, it'd probably depend on my mood at the time it happened.

I'm pretty sure my wife said she would opt to save me rather than the baby about to be born, and that's the way I want it. I'm not going to die for some just-about-to-be-born kid.

Another factor you might want to consider is whether the wife is pregnant with the first baby or whether y'all already have a bunch of kids.

Source(s): I'm 9 weeks pregnant with baby #2.

Oh, in pregnancy? The mother. I know women will say that they are already bonded with the baby, but I'm not. If I save my wife, we can have another baby later on, which I can bond with.

If the child was already born and grown somewhat and I had to make this kind of decision, then the child. I would already have an investment in that child. I know that sounds awful, but I don't intend to let my parenting be a waste of my time if I can help it.

As a mother, my gut reaction would be to save the kid. That's our kid, no matter how young he may be, and I would gladly put my own life on the line in order to ensure a healthy delivery for my baby. But I'm not sure if my husband's thought process would be the same. I'm sure we've all heard the old adage "A mother's a mother the minute she becomes pregnant, but a father becomes a father the first time he holds his child." I'm just not sure he would be able to look at me, a living, breathing person he loves, and be able to compare that to a tiny little fetus he's never met before. He loves us both, certainly, but it's just not the same as it is for mothers, who have spent nine months carrying the little thing inside of them.

I would give him my blessing to pick whichever choice he thinks is best. He's the one who is going to have to live with it, either way... what a horrible position to have to be in.

• Jenny

As a wife I'd tell him to save the child and hopefully my husband would do as I wish.

My husband has explicit instructions to save the baby. As for what he would actually do when faced with that situation, I can only hope we'll never have to find out.

• I would respect either decision that my husband made (even if I were the one to die). I know it would be really hard for him to take care of two children alone though so I am really not sure. Son or daughter wouldn't matter though.

Save the wife you can always make another baby.

I told my husband if that circumstance was ever to come up to chose the baby. If I lived and found out he chose me over the baby, I'd leave him. He knows how I feel and why I feel that way. I lived my life and it's God's will that it should happen. My baby is a new person and deserves life just as much as the next person.

I know I'm not a guy, but if i was I'd say save wife.

If the wife is relatively young and you love her - save the wife. If the wife is old, save the child.