Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesBooks & Authors · 1 decade ago

Some good sci fi books with action?

i'm looking for a sci fi book (preferably not a series) that happens in the future with a good amount of action and adventure that is hopefully not too technical. as an example, the 5th element is a great future sci fi movie, so is i, robot, blade runner, etc.

any suggestions? i'm new to the sci fi genre so i wanted to start off around there.

5 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

The "not in a series" request is tough with Sci-Fi. Although most of these books are the first book in a series they will all work as stand alone books. Given how good they are, I expect you will appreciate that they are part of a series, once you have read the initial book.

(Remember it is the PUBLISHERS anf FANS who push for the SEQUELS to successfull books that create the series in the first place.)

In MILITARY Science Fiction, here are some I would recommend:

"The Forever War" (1974 / 236 pages) by Joe Haldeman

Deals with the effect of time dilation, on those involved in an interstellar war.

(Won the Hugo and Nebula Awards.)

"Hammer's Slammers" (1979) by David Drake

(the first book of the "Hammer's Slammers" series)

“With the Lightnings” (1998) by David Drake

(the first book of the “Republic of Cinnabar Navy (RCN)”/ “Lt. Leary” series)

"Sten" (1982) by Chris Bunch and Allen Cole

(the first book of "The Sten Chronicles")

Sten is orphaned and then recruited into the Eternal Emperor's "Mantis" covert intelligence corps.

"Dorsai" (1959 / 159 pages) by Gordon R. Dickson

(the first book of “The Childe Cycle”)

Deals with genetic drift and specialization, and there effects on humanity as a whole.

Nominated for the Hugo award.

“Dune” (1965 / 412 pages) by Frank Herbert

(the first book of the “Dune Series)

(Won the Hugo and Nebula Awards.)

"Warriors Apprentice" (1986) by Lois McMaster Bujold

(the first book of "The Vorkosigan Saga")

After being genetically "damaged" by a bio weapon in his mother's womb, Miles Vorkosigan overcomes prejudice to claim his birthright.

(FOUR other books in the series Won Hugo Awards.)

"On Basilisk Station” (1993) by David Weber

(the first book in the "Honor Harrington" series)

This Space Navy series has FEMALE lead character. Beyond the Technology of the spacecraft and weapons, the story revolves around interpersonal relationships with which you will be able to identify.

"The Forge" (1991) by S.M. Stirling.

(the first book of "The General" series)

A military officer discovers "Battle Central", an ancient 1000 year old computer, that shows him what will happen to the planet without intervention.

"An Oblique Approach" (1998) by Eric Flint

(the first book of the "Belisarius" series)

“Mutineers' Moon” (1991) by David Weber.

(the first book in the “Dahak trilogy”)

“Insurrection” (1993) by David Weber & Steve White

(the first book in the “Starfire” series)

“Prince of Sunset” (1998) by Steve White

(the first book in the “Prince of Sunset” series)

"Bolo" (1976) by Keith Laumer

(first book of the "Bolo" series – about self aware tanks)

“The Last Legion” (1999) by Chris Bunch

(the first book of “The Last Legion” series – Space/Military)

“Ensign Flandry” (1966) by Poul Anderson

(the fist book, by internal chronology, of the “Terran Empire period of Dominic Flandry” series)

“The Regiment” (1987) by John Dalmas

(the fist book of “The Regiment” series)

“Prince of Mercenaries” (1989) by Jerry Pournelle

(the fist book of the “The Falkenberg's Legion” series)

“Legion Of The Damned” (1993) by William C. Dietz

(the first book of the “Legion” series)

“First to Fight” (1997) by David Sherman & Dan Cragg

(the fist book of “The StarFist Saga” - Space Military/Alien Sci-Fi)

The Marines fight acid squirting aliens in the far reaches of inhabited space.

"Sassinak" (1990) by Anne McCaffrey

(the first book of “The Planet Pirates trilogy”)

Has a FEMALE lead character.

“Once a Hero“ (1997) by Elizabeth Moon

(first book of the “Esmay Suiza” trilogy)

Another Space Navy series with a FEMALE main character.

Beyond the Technology of the spacecraft and weapons, the story revolves around a personal struggle for identify with which you will be able to identify.

In SCIENCE FICTION, here are some I would recommend:

"Foundation" (1951 / 255 pages) by Issac Asimov

(the first book of the "Foundation Series")

Postulates the societal change, which would accompany the expansion into the stars.

The seiries won the one-time Hugo Award for "Best All-Time Series" in 1966.

(One of the other books in the series also won a Hugo Award.)

“I, Robot” (1950 / 272 pages) the book of early short stories by Issac Asimov on the subject of ROBOTS in which he postulates the "Three Laws of Robotics" should be read as a basis before reading the

"The Caves of Steel" (1954 / 224 pages) by Issac Asimov

(the first of the "Robot" series / Lije Bailey mysteries)

These books are the source from which the movie "I, Robot" is drawn.

"The Man Who Never Missed" (1985) by Steve Perry

(the first book of "The Matador" series)

“The Ayes of Texas” (1982) by Daniel Da Cruz

(the first book of the “Republic of Texas” series)

About commercial space exploration.

“The Widowmaker” (1996) by Mike Resnick

(the fist book of the “The Widowmaker” series)

Resnick holds the record for Hugo Award nominations with 34.

The Widowmaker

Source(s): almost 40 years a sci-fi & fantasy fan
    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 4 years ago

Arthur C. Clark, Isaac Asimov, Robert Heinlein - you can't go wrong with the big 3. I'd add a 4th - Ray Bradbury Harry Harrisson's Deathworld and Stainless Steel Rat series will keep you up. Frank Herbert's Dune series is also a must. L. Ron Hubbard's Mission Earth dekalogy and his Battlefield Earth is on this list too (particularly Battlefield Earth, it has everything that a good sci-fi book must have). Philip K. Dick - his Bladerunner is a classic and shame on you if you don't know about it. Harlan Ellison's - try to find his anthologies particularly "All the Sounds of Fear" it has "I have no Mouth and I must Scream" and "Repent, Harlequin said the Ticktockman" both classics. Keith Laumer's Retief series. Larry Niven's Man-Kzin Wars Andre Norton, Frederik Pohl, Clifford D. Simak, Theodore Sturgeon, Timothy Zhan, Roger Zelazny, A.E. van Vogt. ...there's a whole lot more out there.

• 1 decade ago

The Stainless Steel Rat series by Harry Harrison. (I know you said not series but each is a stand-alone tale). This guy is one of the best characters in Sci-Fi, an interstellar master thief forced to work for the government once caught.

Bill The Galactic Hero by Harry Harrison. (Another in a series but only this one and the second one are any good or by Harrison) Short, excellent concepts, laughs and action galore.

Graphic Novel: "The Ballad of Halo Jones" by Alan Moore and Ian Gibson; action-packed, moving, amazing story, on a par with Fifth Element. Also "Watchmen" if you haven't read it already, also by Alan Moore.

• 1 decade ago

The Miles Vorkosigan Saga by Lois McMaster Bujold. Start with "The Warrior's Apprentice" and go from there. Or, if you want to start with Miles's parents (you don't have to in order to get into the series), start with "Shards of Honor." If you want to start at the beginning of the 'verse, start with "Falling Free."

Oops, not a series. Then try "To Say Nothing of the Dog" by Connie Willis. It's a time-traveling farce. In fact, anything by Connie Willis is ace.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

Robert Heinlein's Starship Troopers is a classic. I know of some other good books in the genre, but they're in series and can get pretty technical. Message or e-mail me if you're curious.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.